In Tennessee, the Drive to 55 and Tennessee Reconnect initiatives highlight the need for more opportunities for adult learners to earn a degree. Many potential students have already earned some college credits but have not completed their degree due to time and geography constraints. Tennessee has limited opportunities for adult learners to earn a bachelor's degree in a flexible way that meets working adults' needs. The UTC Bachelor of Applied Science in Applied Leadership (BAS-AL) provides an online, flexible program for adult learners seeking employment or advancement in the workforce that requires a bachelor's degree.
The online BAS-AL program prepares students for a wide variety of careers by focusing on innovative and effective applied leadership. Specifically, the coursework and experiences will help students develop the skills and knowledge they need to solve problems, communicate effectively, resolve conflict, and assess effectiveness in diverse environments. While the program's focus is on cultivating the ability to influence the leadership process at any level, individuals will also develop and refining applied skills in critical thinking, problem-solving, motivating and empowering others, and communicating effectively and persuasively.
- Analyze the styles and processes to articulate and practice leadership
- Explain the need for ethical, responsible leadership
- Apply leadership approaches in diverse contexts
- Implement effective approaches to organizational change and innovation
- Apply communication skills to influence the leadership process with a variety of audiences in various contexts
- Explore and analyze decision-making processes that result in the implementation of ethical practice