Students are not required to locate their own supervised experiential learning sites and/or preceptors. The program faculty and staff will provide all students with their supervised experiential learning sites and preceptors during at the beginning of each semester. All sites are within 100 miles of the UTC campus. The program uses password protected programs, unique user IDs, and university picture IDs to verify the identity of a student for online testing and SEL hours.
SEL Requirements for Graduation
The number of SEL hours required for TN state licensure is a minimum of 900 hours. A student cannot graduate with less than 1000 hours. The program curriculum includes 1000 SEL hours. Additional hours may be accumulated through MPH Curriculum and Public Health Exposures.
The program faculty work closely together to develop a SEL schedule for each student that provides a range of experiences that meet competencies from both disciplines. A SEL schedule is provided to all students at the beginning of each semester. The program is designed so that all students are offered a minimum of 1000 SEL hours; however, a student may graduate with up to 1200 SEL hours. Faculty advisors work closely with students and the SEL Coordinator to update SEL Schedules each semester.
A final assessment for all students of both SEL hours and competencies occurs during Spring-Semester IV by the Program Director, SEL Coordinator, and Faculty Advisor. Each student is expected to demonstrate competence in all seven ACEND competency Units (Foundational Knowledge; Client/Patient Services; Food Systems Management; Community and Population Health Nutrition; Leadership, Business, Management and Organization; Critical Thinking, Research and Evidence-Informed Practice; Core Professional Behaviors), as well as Reflective Practice, through a culminating project and practice exam.
Health Science Program Requirements
As a student you will be working in a variety of health care settings. The program has established guidelines which comply with the ACEND Accreditation Standards, as well as the recommendations of the University Health Services. Students must fulfill these requirements in order to start the supervised experiential learning education component of the curriculum.
Health Science Program Requirements are introduced and completed during the Orientation to the RDN course in Fall-Semester I. Students who do not complete all Clinical Health Requirements will not be allowed to register for Spring-Semester II courses.
Requirements for MPH ND include:
- Immunizations and Health Standards
All students are required to upload the following information to the UTC Patient Portal according to the Student Health Services, Health Science Program Requirements:
- TB skin test
- Urine drug screen
- Proof of ALL vaccines
- A positive Hepatitis B titer, MMR titer and Varicella titer
- One TDaP (tetanus diphtheria and acellular pertussis) in your lifetime, then a Td booster every 10 years
- Influenza vaccine
- Current CPR Certification
- Online CPR courses are not accepted
- Students are required to be certified in CPR annually.
- If CPR certification has not been completed prior to the program, students will complete CPR certification during the Practicum Orientation course in Semester I.
- Individual Student Professional Liability Insurance
- Students are required to purchase a coverage of a minimum of $1,000,000 per incidence/occurrence and $3,000,000 annual aggregate.
- Students can purchase the liability insurance through companies such as HPSO [recommended], or through the UTC Bursar’s Office in the University Center.
- You will need to bring verification of coverage (not receipt).
- Criminal Background Check
- Must be completed prior to enrollment.
- The Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) requires verification of competency of all individuals who have direct contact with patients or employees; this includes students doing clinical rotations in the facility. Competency extends beyond technical skills to an individual’s criminal history.
- Physical Exam
May be completed on or off campus. If completed off campus, you must use our Physical Health Form. If you choose to complete on campus, we will arrange appointment times once you arrive. You will need a copy of your immunizations!
- Drug Screen
- TB Skin Test
- Must be negative within the past 12 months and proof of test and test results if test is done prior to coming to UTC
- Required annually
- Flu Shot
- Required annually; administered during "flu season"
- Can receive from UTC student health or elsewhere
- HIPAA/Privacy/Confidential Form
Students are required to have a signed HIPAA/Privacy/Confidential Form
- Code of Conduct Form
- Students are required to have a signed Code of Conduct Form
- Student Policy Manual & CIP Signature Page
- Second OSHA - Blood-Borne Pathogens Training Completed Form
Students are required to have a Second OSHA - Blood-Borne Pathogens Training Completed Form
Drug Testing and Criminal Background Checks
The program requires drug testing and criminal background checks in order to participate in supervised experiential learning hours. See Clinical Health Requirements above for details. Students who do not complete these requirements in Orientation to the RDN course in Fall-Semester I will not be allowed to register for Spring-Semester II courses.
Employee Replacement and Compensation
Students doing supervised experiential learning must not be used to replace employees or be paid compensation.