The professional disciplines that comprise Sport, Outdoor Recreation, and Tourism Management (SORT) prepare students for management and leadership positions in commercial, private, and non-profit settings. It recognizes the intersection of sport, recreation, and tourism and is designed to inform students how to architect, promote, and execute experiential services and products in a variety of contexts. Students will supplement a core curriculum, consisting of a broad educational foundation, with elective courses that support their professional interests. Such flexibility enables students to cater their education to a specific career path, whether it be sport, outdoor recreation, or tourism-focused.
Beyond course-based learning, UTC’s SORT program encourages its students to take full advantage of Chattanooga’s premier outdoor destination attractions and event calendar through experiential learning courses. The program consists of two pre-internship field experience courses, as well as one mandatory internship. SORT’s practicum experiences are designed to complement classroom instruction by providing hands on experience in the respective field.
Sport, Outdoor Recreation, and Tourism Core Requirements
- Minimum grade of C is required in all SORT Core Requirements.
- HHP 1020 - Introduction to Sport, Outdoor Recreation, and Tourism
- HHP 2120 - Field Experiences I in Sport, Outdoor Recreation, and Tourism
- HHP 2130 - Field Experiences II in Sport, Outdoor Recreation, and Tourism
- HHP 3010 - Principles of Travel and Tourism
- HHP 3060 - Outdoor Recreation
- HHP 3100 - Research Methods in Sport, Outdoor Recreation, and Tourism
- HHP 3210 - Tourism Impacts
- HHP 3320 - Event Management in Sport, Outdoor Recreation, and Tourism
- HHP 3460 - Program Planning in Sport, Outdoor Recreation, and Tourism
- HHP 3640 - Sociology of Sport
- HHP 4060 - Law and Ethics in Sport, Outdoor Recreation, and Tourism
- HHP 4140 - Marketing and Promotion in Sport, Outdoor Recreation, and Tourism
- HHP 4790 - Internship in Sport, Outdoor Recreation, and Tourism
See what our alumni are doing!
Christi Anglea, Leisure Studies
Molly Boyd, Outdoor Recreation
Evan Castellano, Outdoor Recreation
Anna Dinwiddie, Outdoor Recreation
Brant Donlon, Sports Management
Andrew Horton, Sports Management
Taylor Jordan, Outdoor Recreation
Andrew Kelso, Leisure Studies
Paige Odom, Outdoor Recreation
Christian Orth, Sports Management
Paul Smith, Sports Management
Kirsten Smithson, Outdoor Recreation
Brian Wright, Sports Management