How was the book chosen?
The entire UTC community–students, faculty, and staff–is invited annually to submit suggestions regarding the book for the coming academic year. From the suggested books, the Read to Achieve Book Selection Committee chose its finalists by using the following criteria:
- Readability and potential for engaging students;
- Richness of content and themes, i.e. the book is well written and is a “good read”; widely recognized;
- Relevance to first-year students, current society, or local community;
- Appeal to a wide range of student interests and backgrounds;
- Possibilities for additional programming, especially inclusion in first-year courses or other areas of the curriculum;
- Potential for interdisciplinary/multidisciplinary discussion and integration into the curriculum;
- Accessibility for all students;
- Cost (not to be cost-prohibitive);
- Accurate and respectful portrayals of diverse cultures;
- Potential to spark lively discussion.