About the scholarship
The ASPIRE scholarship is available to Appalachian high school seniors with financial
need who plan to enroll in STEM Major fields at UTC. We will provide funding to 20
incoming students in Fall 2018 through the National Science Foundation (NSF) Scholarship
in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics Program. Eligible majors for
the scholarship at UTC include Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Engineering,
Environmental Sciences, Geology, Mathematics, and Physics.
Students selected for ASPIRE will receive up to $9,375 per year for up to four years! To be eligible, applicants must:
1. Select a STEM Major (Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Engineering, Environmental Sciences, Geology, Mathematics, and Physics) at UTC;
2. Reside in one of the 52 Appalachian countries in Tennessee (please see the details on the flyer);
3. Meet eligibility criteria for federal Pell grants;
4. Qualify for the traditional “HOPE Scholarship”, and
5. Achieve minimum 21 ACT (980 SAT) or and overall weighted minimum 3.0 GPA.
Students who receive the ASPIRE Scholarship will:
1. Receive funds to help with travel to campus for orientation and several trips home during a year;
2. Live and participate on our STEM ASPIRE Living and Learning Community (LLC) for at least two years;
3. Be paired with a faculty mentor and LLC peer advisors, and
4. Be eligible for funded summer internships after sophomore year.
If you have any questions regarding to the ASPIRE program, please email us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The application deadline is December 1, 2017.