Chapel Rental Information
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga's history has always contained a deep belief and commitment to the religious freedoms shared by all. Proud and stately symbols of this are seen in the two chapels - Patten and Danforth - that anchor the historic quadrangle of the UTC Campus. In the early years, honor convocations, performance testaments and commencements have echoed through these halls.
Currently the chapels see mostly wedding and memorial activities. Patten Chapel, dedicated in 1919, is one of the busiest sanctuaries in the city. Reserving either of the chapels should be done as soon as possible as almost every weekend is taken, usually up to a year in advance. Outdoor events in either Heritage Plaza or the Shakespeare Garden should also be booked as soon as possible to avoid conflicts with weddings or University events.
Patten Chapel seats approximately 400 people in rich oak pews. The brick is a dark reddish brown that has warmed with the years. Highlighted by the brick are the moss and rust colored stain glass windows. Gothic chandeliers reveal dark brown ornate woodwork arches that finish the ceiling in the seating chamber. The chancel floor is rich red pottery tile. The woodwork is a deep rich oak again highlighted by the same gothic chandeliers. A studio piano is available on the house left side, otherwise plan to provide your own instruments.
Danforth Chapel is a small chapel seating 50. Dedicated in 1952, the chapel doors face out onto Oak Street where many a couple have left via horse and carriage. The chapel is connected to Hooper-Race hall with nearby restrooms and snack areas are available. Located across the hall from the English style Shakespeare Garden outside Patten Chapel, Danforth is perfect for small events that emphasize intimacy.
The recently renovated Shakespeare Garden, outside Patten Chapel, is the perfect spot for weddings or other events in a garden setting. Beautiful flowers around a warm brick walk with manicured patches of grass make this a very popular choice for small weddings and a quiet place to relax. There is always something in bloom from the many different flower types that will add to the beauty of your event. The garden is always open for your inspection; please do not hesitate to visit this tranquil and personal space.
Heritage Plaza is the open area in between the Library and University Center on what was Vine Street. Concrete walks surround a gray brick paver center with iron tables and benches nearby. Trees and planters help enclose the space for weddings or meeting friends after class. Like the Shakespeare Garden, we take great pride in this new area, so please take time to go over our "outdoor venue policy" for the campus. You can find a link to that policy in the left side navigation column.
For information and to obtain a rental application for either Patten or Danforth Chapel and/or the Shakespeare Garden for your event, please call the University's Wedding Coordinator, Ms. Mal Long (Monday and Tuesday only) at 423.425.2115. Her office is located in the McKenzie Arena Administrative Offices (Room 302) on the 3rd floor of the Arena.
|Shakespeare Garden /
Services included in the rental fee for a chapel wedding:
- Use of the chapel and equipment provided in the chapel for day of the wedding and for a rehearsal day for 1-1/2 hours prior to the wedding. Access to public restrooms in Race/Hooper Halls when available.
- Upon request, a UTC security officer will be available to work security for weddings and events. For more Information, call UTC Police at 423.425.4357.
- The bridal party will have access to the chapel 3 hours prior to the wedding until 1-1/2 hours after wedding for cleanup. If more time is needed, a $50 per hour rental rate will be in effect.
- The University will provide routine cleaning of the chapels prior to the wedding date.
- The University provides routine maintenance for a piano in Patten Chapel, but does not guarantee its operating condition on the day of the wedding.
- The wedding party and guests may park in University lot 26 only at no charge on Saturday or Sunday or after 5:00p.m. on weekdays. If parking facilities will be required between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. on weekdays, a visitor's pass for each vehicle must be purchased from the UTC Parking Services Office, located on the first floor of the Administrative Services Building at 400 Palmetto Street.
- Upon request, the University will provide the applicant with a map which indicates the entrance routes to be followed to the chapel and parking areas at night and on weekends.
Conditions of use:
- The University does not allow musical instruments or other items that are secured to the floor to be moved.
- Any items brought into the chapel for the wedding must be removed immediately after the wedding.
- Other than through rental of The Patten House, the University does not have facilities available for wedding receptions.
- The University does not provide wedding services (e.g. plants, candies, ministers, organists, etc.).
- The chapels are open weekdays from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. and are locked at other times.
- The University does not assume liability for personal property left in the chapel.
- The University does not allow alcohol on state property.
- Only non-drip wax candles are allowed on University premises.
- The University provides no dressing space for the minister, groomsmen or groom.
Application procedures for use of chapels or outdoor spaces:
- Contact the Wedding Coordinator to make an appointment to reserve a tentative date for your event by calling 423-425-2115.
- A 50% non-refundable deposit is due with application form. The rental fee balance is due 6 months prior to wedding.
Ms. Mal Long, Wedding Coordinator
UTC McKenzie Arena, Room 302
615 McCallie Avenue
Chattanooga, TN 37403