Chapel Rental Information
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga's history has always contained a deep belief and commitment to the religious freedoms shared by all. Proud and stately symbols of this are seen in two chapels—Patten and Danforth—that anchor the historic quadrangle of the UTC campus.
In the early years, honor convocations, performance testaments, and commencements echoed through these walls.
Currently the chapels see mostly wedding and memorial activities.
Reserving either of the chapels should be done as soon as possible as almost every weekend is taken, usually up to a year in advance.
Seats approximately 400 people in rich oak pews.
The brick is a dark reddish brown that has warmed with the years. Highlighted by the brick are the moss and rust colored stain glass windows. Gothic chandeliers reveal dark brown ornate woodwork arches that finish the ceiling in the seating chamber. The chancel floor is rich red pottery tile. A new organ has been installed to accompany the Yamaha grand piano in the chapel.
A small chapel seating 50.
Dedicated in 1952, the chapel doors face out onto Oak Street where many a couple have left via horse and carriage. The chapel is connected to Hooper-Race hall with nearby restrooms and available snack areas. Located across the hall from the English-style Shakespeare Garden outside Patten Chapel, Danforth is perfect for small events that emphasize intimacy.
Located just outside Patten Chapel, the Shakespeare Garden is the perfect spot for weddings or other events in a garden setting.
Beautiful flowers around a warm brick walk with manicured patches of grass make this a very popular choice for small weddings and a quiet place to relax. There is always something in bloom from the many different flower types that will add to the beauty of your event. Please do not hesitate to visit this tranquil and personal space.
Included in Rental
- 7.5 hours of rental time (including 1.5 consecutive hours of rehearsal time and 6 consecutive hours of event time) unless otherwise arranged prior to the event
- 1 event staff member for the entire rehearsal and rental times
- Complimentary parking in UTC Lot #26 Monday - Friday after 5:00pm and all day on Saturday and Sunday in the designated UTC spots (not in any spots that are marked as reserved for surrounding churches)
- Access to public restrooms in Race/Hooper Halls
- Access to bridal suite beside Patten Chapel
- Upon request, a campus map, which indicates entrance routes for the chapel, as well as parking lots which guests may use during the rental
Conditions of Use
- A completed application form must be submitted in order to request the reservation of the chapel.
- A confirmation email will be sent to the client when the reservation is confirmed.
- A University Events staff member will contact client 6 weeks prior to the event to confirm rehearsal schedule, day-of schedule, vendors that will be used, and other event details.
- Any items brought on campus (including but not limited to inside Patten Chapel, outside on McCallie Avenue or any other are surrounding the chapel) during rental must be removed immediately after rental. If items are not removed, this may result in an additional cost to the client.
- No other loose substance (including but not limited to flower petals, glitter, confetti, barley, wheat, lavender, rice, or birdseed) is permitted to be distributed inside or outside Patten Chapel. If these items are used in this manner, this may result in an additional cost to the client.
- Client may not tape, tack, or nail anything to the pews, railings, doors, walls, windows, or floors of Patten Chapel. If this is done, this may result in an additional cost to the client.
- No alcohol or drugs may be present or consumed while on university property. If these items are found, this may result in an additional cost to the client and/or police action for the person(s) found with these substances.
- Only non-drip candles may be used in Patten Chapel. If candle wax is found to have dripped in the chapel, this may result in an additional cost to the client.
- The university’s operations closing due to inclement weather will not necessarily have an impact on chapel rentals still taking place. However, it may result in additional services previously booked being unavailable, in which case the client will be refunded the cost of those additional services.
Director of University Events
Jill Norton Woodruff
Coordinator of Programs and Events