Make History in One of Our Historic Buildings
Several of the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga's most historic buildings and spaces are available to students, staff, alumni and community groups for events.
- Perfect for the Small, Quaint Event
Danforth Chapel is a small facility seating 50. Dedicated in 1952, the chapel has doors that face Oak Street, where many a couple have left via horse and carriage. The chapel is connected to Hooper-Race halls with nearby restrooms and snack areas.
Across the hall from the English-style Shakespeare Garden outside Patten Chapel, Danforth is suitable for small events that emphasize intimacy. Parking is available in Lot 26, across Douglas Street near Fletcher Hall. The chapel is all brick with paneled glass windows, and The carpet is red. The chapel also features a small, round window at the top of the chancel. The pews are made of golden-stained oak.
For information on renting either Patten or Danforth chapels, call Laura Cagle at 423-425-4203.
This Rich, Stately Treasure Seats 400
Patten Chapel is the heart of the UTC campus, dedicated in 1919 as part of the University of Chattanooga. The original entrance on McCallie Avenue is no longer used. Doors at the rear open to the main courtyard of campus. There is also an entrance to Hooper-Race hall where restrooms and snacks are located. Parking is available in lot 26, across Douglas Street from Fletcher and Founders halls.
The chapel seats approximately 400 people in rich oak pews. The brick is a dark reddish brown that has warmed with the years. Highlighted by the brick are the moss and rust-colored stain glass windows. Gothic chandeliers reveal dark-brown ornate woodwork arches that finish the ceiling in the seating chamber.
The chancel floor is rich-red pottery tile. The woodwork is a deep rich oak again highlighted by the same gothic chandeliers. A new organ is available along with a Yamaha grand piano.
We hope you will visit the Patten Chapel and take in the rich history and reverent grace of this stately building. The building has stood the test of time, and became an iconic feature of campus architecture.
For information on renting either patten or Danforth chapel, call Laura Cagle at 423-425-4203.
A Beautiful and Tranquil Place to Exchange Vows
Shakespeare Garden, outside Patten Chapel, is ideal for an intimate wedding in a garden setting.
Located immediately outside. Beautiful flowers around a warm brick walk with manicured grass make this a popular choice for small weddings and a quiet place to relax. Something is always in bloom, and the variety of flowers will add to the beauty of your event. The garden is always open for inspection. Don't hesitate to visit this tranquil space.
For information on renting either the Patten or Danforth chapels and/or the Shakespeare Garden, call Laura Cagle at 423-425-4203.
Beautiful Outdoor Choices Add Just the Right Touch
Heritage Plaza is the open area on Vine Street between Lupton Hall and the University Center.
As part of a million dollar renovation/beautification grant in conjunction with Chattanooga’s Riverwalk, Heritage Plaza was created on the UTC campus. The circle of four medallions form a walk through time as the University has grown.
Concrete walks surround a gray brick paver center with iron tables and benches nearby.
Opened in 2013, Chamberlain Pavilion features the entrance sign and actual bricks from South Stadium that stood on this site for nearly 90 years. Today, the pavilion serves as a hub of campus and community events. The side of the pavilion facing Chamberlain Field can serve as a perfect stage area for concerts, ceremonies, shows, and more! Chamberlain Field
Now a recreational space, Chamberlain Field was the home of the Mocs football team from 1908 to 1997. When it was a functioning football field, it was adjoined by the South Stadium building, which housed a cafeteria, classrooms, and even dormitories. South Stadium was deconstructed in 2011, but the memories from those days past are preserved in features on current field and pavilion.
Located along the University Greenway between the Fine Arts Center and Cadek Hall, the amphitheatre was a student-driven project that was completed in the early 1990s. Situated below ground level and constructed of concrete stadium-style seating, it can seat approximately 100 people.
This Historic Home is Ready to Build Memories
Historic Patten House is located on the beautiful campus of The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga.
The second and third floors are home to the Southeast Center for Education in the Arts and are not available for rental, but the first floor is an event space that can be rented.
The Patten House is a beautiful setting for meetings, receptions, retreats, and more.