- Member institutions are required to notify the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) of changes in accordance with the substantive change policy and, when required, seek approval prior to the initiation of changes.
- Member institutions are required to have a policy and procedure to ensure that all substantive changes are reported to the Commission in a timely fashion.
Substantive change is a significant modification or expansion of the nature and scope of an accredited institution.
Under federal regulations, substantive change includes:
- Any change in the established mission or objectives of the institution
- Any change in legal status, form of control, or ownership of the institution
- The addition of courses or programs that represent a significant departure, either in content or method of delivery, from those that were offered when the institution was last evaluated
- The addition of courses or programs of study at a degree or credential level different from
that which is included in the institution’s current accreditation or reaffirmation.
- A change from clock hours to credit hours
- A substantial increase in the number of clock or credit hours awarded for successful
completion of a program
- The establishment of an additional location geographically apart from the main campus at
which the institution offers at least 50% of an educational program.
- The establishment of a branch campus
- Closing a program, off-campus site, branch campus or institution
- Entering into a collaborative academic arrangement that includes only the
initiation of a dual or joint academic program with another institution
- Acquiring another institution or a program or location of another institution
- Adding a permanent location at a site where the institution is conducting a teach-out program for a closed institution
- Entering into a contract by which an entity not eligible for Title IV funding offers 25% or
more of one or more of the accredited institution’s programs
The SACSCOC Board of Trustees has approved additional substantive changes that require notification and, in some cases, approval prior to implementation. This policy and its procedures
address substantive changes identified through Federal regulations and Board approval.
Substantive Change Information
- Substantive Change Policy
- Changes to Current Program
- Determining Significant Change
- Implementing New Programs
- Significant Change in Program Length
- Significant Department Continuum
To request more information or schedule a substantive change consultation, click here to email UTC's SACSCOC Liaison, Cindy Williamson.