- Ph.D., Continuing and Vocational Education, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 2003
- Neonatal Nutrition Fellow, James Whitcomb Riley Hospital for Children, Indianapolis, IN, April – July, 1991
- M.S., Food Nutritional Sciences, University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, Stevens Point, WI, 1990
- B. S., Dietetics, University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point, Stevens Point, WI, 1988
- Principles of Nutrition
- Nutrition Assessment
- Nutrition Counseling
- Nutrition Education Principles and Practice
- Maternal and Child Nutrition
- Medical Nutrition Therapy I and II
- Advanced Metabolism I and II
- Dietetics as a Profession
- Community Nutrition
- Quantity Food Service
- Senior Seminar
- Boer, N. , Schmidt, C.E. and Peyer, K., Exercise Testing and Prescription Using Data from an Exercise Prescription Laboratory Course and Nutritional Intake of college students, 2016 – ongoing.
- “Hopes, expectations and goals of students in multidisciplinary courses; a comparison of southern college students to mid-west region of U.S.” , Schmidt, C.E., Barry, K., Spring, 2016
- "Clarifying expectations to improve the learner instructor working relationship: A conduit for enhancing learner engagement, self-efficacy and metacognition", 2011 – 2012.
- "Clarifying expectations: implementing hopes for learning and instruction as a conduit for motivating learners", 2010 – 2011.
- "Motivational Interviewing knowledge and skills performed in nutrition counseling course", 2009 – 2010.
- Research Study participant, Dr. Phil Price, University of North Carolina at Charlotte, audio comment in an online learning course, Fall 2007 – Fall 2008.
- Learning experiences that assist students, inside and outside of the classroom, in achieving competencies, Medical Nutrition Therapy course, Spring, 2007.
- Qualitative data collection in: "Student engagement in learning", 2006.
Heath, G., Schmidt, C.E., Hathaway, E., and Maddux, E. “Policy and Environmental Supoprts for Healthy Eating.” 3rd Ed. , Dr. Rippe’s Lifestyle Medicine, 3rd Ed. City; Taylor and Francis, in press, 2019.
- White, D.M, Schmidt, C.E., Powell, M. “Dietetic students’ reflections about future practice after participating in home visits and health fairs.” Submitted: Journal of Experiential Education, March, 2018.
- Schmidt, CE. , Boer, N., White, DM, Underwood, SA, Peyer, KL, Heath, GW, An Evaluation of a Video-based Physical Activity Intervention in the Classrooms of Elementary Children. Health Behavior and Policy review, 4,(5), Sept/Oct. 2017.
- Schmidt, C. , McNulty, B., Howard-Baptiste, S. Harvey, J., Collegiality and its use in Higher Education. International Journal of Kinesiology, Spring, 2017.
- Kang, H.K, Bailey, D. and Schmidt, C., Positive attitudes and positive routines: Age graded differences in the path to happiness, Journal of Leisure Research, January, 2016.
- Peacock, J., Schmidt, C.E., and Barry, K. A Qualitative Analysis of Post-Operative Nutritional Barriers and Useful Dietary Services Reported by Bariatric Surgical Patients, Obesity Surgery, The Journal of Metabolic Surgery and Allied Care, DOI 10.1007/s11695-016-2096-1.
- Harvey, J., McNulty,B., Schmidt, C. and Howard-Baptiste, S. Senior Olympics: Never too old to Play, International Journal of Human Movement and Sports Science, 3 (2):11 – 15, 2015. DOI: 10.13189/saj.2015.030201
- McNulty, B., Schmidt, C., Howard-Baptiste, S., and Harvey, J. Developing Professionalism as a Student by Joining Health and Physical Education Professional Organizations, GAHPERD, September 15, 2015.
- Wasniewski, G., Seaborn, C., Schmidt, C and Nyland, R. “Gluten-free and casein-free diets as am alternative form of treatment for autism spectrum disorders.” JADA, abstract, Vol 110, no. 9, September, 2010.
- Schmidt, C. and Knudsen, L. “An Update about learning experiences, inside and outside of the classroom, that assist dietetic students in achieving competencies.” The Digest; Research practice group of the American Dietetic Association, Spring 2009.
- Rott, C. , Seaborn, C. Schmidt, R. Taffalla, J. Pejsa. N. Evers, An eight week mindful eating education program increases self efficacy and weight loss. ADA Food and Nutrition Conference, Chicago, preceedings of ADA journal/abstract, 2008.
- Graff, A. Schmidt, C.,Biggerstaff, E., Seaborn, C. Food Variety and Quality of Life in Congregate Meal Participants in Dunn County, WI. Food and Nutrition Conference, Chicago, preceedings of ADA journal/abstract,2008.
- Schmidt, C.E. and White, D.M. Fourth Annual International Nutrition Conference and Exhibition, “An innovative model to provide nutritional education and intervention for the older adults in the community”, Chicago, IL, October, 2015.
- Schmidt, C.E., and White, D.M., Interprofessional Health Care Conference, panel presenter, UTC, March, 2014.
- Schmidt, C.E. and White, D.M., Falls Prevention Summit, “Bone Mineral Health and nutrients”, University of Tennessee- Chattanooga University center, August, 2014.
- Chair, Retention, Tenure & Promotion Committee, HHP Department, Fall 2018- present
- University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, member, Course Learning Evaluation Committee, University level, 2018 – present
- University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, Classroom Technology Committee Member, Fall 2013 - 2014
- Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics, Program Reviewer, Fall 2012 – Spring 2015
- Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers, Member, 2006 - present