Mind the Gap
Professional Development Mini-Conference
January 12-15, 2021
"Mind the Gap" is heard thousands of times each day in the UK Underground. The call is to remind passengers to be careful when leaving the tube as there is quite a distance between the train and the platform.
This phrase has also been used as a rallying cry to explore what's missing, what's not there, and what could be.
In an effort to fill the space created by the adjusted Spring 2021 term, we are offering you a chance to choose your own adventure through a series of 30-minute sessions around career and professional development the week before Spring classes begin. Select one or several topics and join the conversation as you mind the gap.
Daily Preview 9:30 - 10 a.m.
Sessions and Discusssions 10 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Daily Debrief 12:30 - 1 p.m.
Drawing for prizes will take place at the end of the final Daily Debrief on January 15th.*
This event is intended to serve students who:
• have yet to begin their career design work and would benefit from broad exposure
• have identified a career direction but would like actionable steps to maintain their progress
• have gained experience in their intended field and would like to learn how to express it on professional documents and through interviews
• are approaching graduation and interested in applying a bit more polish and another's perspective on their plans
• are interested to meet and network with their peers, alumni, staff, faculty, and employers on similar or related paths
• might benefit from a kickstart to propel them forward into the Spring term
Mind the Gap - Session Categories
Click on the categories for a sample of discussion topics.
- Analyzing personal strengths and weaknesses
- Building a network of personal and professional connections
- Defining career readiness and its importance
- Essential elements of well-being
- Learning how a major becomes a career
- Setting and sticking to reasonable goals for the future
- Translating military experience to the civilian world
- Understanding transferable skills and how to talk about them
- Using the Focus2 assessment to clarify career path options
- Completing a job application
- Creating a LinkedIn profile
- Decoding and diagramming the job description
- Developing a job search checklist
- Establishing a professional identity
- Gaining real-world experience
- Identifying the various types of interviews
- Navigating applicant tracking systems
- Producing high-quality resumes and cover letters
- Tackling tricky interview questions
- Email and phone etiquette
- Finding a mentor
- Informational interviews as a networking tool
- Making friends after college
- Networking during a pandemic
- Responsible use of social media and communication platforms
- Staying involved with UTC as an alum
- Using LinkedIn to grow professional connections
- Budget basics
- Deciding between job offers
- Defining professional development
- Diversity in the workplace
- First day on the job
- Keeping track of job applications during the job search
- Navigating workplace culture
- Negotiating salaries and benefits
- Considering graduate school as a possible next step
- The pros and cons of taking a gap year before graduate school
- Understanding the path from entry-level work to the dream job
*Attendance will be taken at each each preview, session and debrief. Names of attendees will be entered into the pot for the drawing. Strong attendance equals a higher number of entries of an attendee's name into the pot, which equals a better chance of winning a prize.
Please contact the Center for Career at Leadership Development at 423-425-4184 or email@example.com if you need special accommodations for this event.