Dr. Ignatius Fomunung
Ph.D., Civil & Environmental Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2000
M.S., Civil Engineering (Transportation), Georgia Institute of Technology, 1996
M.S., Physics, Clark Atlanta University, 1995
B.S., Civil Engineering, Nanjing Institute of Technology, 1987
Certifications or professional registrations
- Professional Engineer Registration (active): Tennessee #20061
Current membership in professional organizations
- IAJC – International Review Board Member. Since March 2014
- 2040 Regional Transportation Plan, Core Technical Team (CTT) Member. Since 2012
- Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE)
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE); Secretary, Treasurer and President of the Chattanooga Branch of ASCE 2007 - 2010.
- American Physical Society (APS)
- Transportation Research Board Committee A1F03, Transportation and Air Quality: “friend” and paper reviewer, since 1997.
- Transportation Research Board Committee ABJ80, Statistical Methodology and Statistical Computer Software in Transportation Research: “friend” of committee since 1999
Dr. Ignatius Fomunung is a Professor in the Department of Civil and Chemical Engineering at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga (UTC). He received his PhD in Civil & Environmental Engineering at Georgia Institute of Technology. He is the Faculty Advisor to the ASCE student chapter at UTC. He designed a project that is a basis of individualized special topic for one graduate student. The results of this endeavor will be utilized by the regional planning agency (RPA) to build a travel demand model for the local TPO (Transportation Planning Organization). His areas of expertise are Application of Wavelet Theory in Transportation Analysis, Transportation-air quality planning and analysis, Intelligent Transportation Systems, Human Factors and Safety in Transportation, Smart Materials in Infrastructure Health Monitoring. Dr. Fomunung co-authored two international peer-reviewed conference proceedings and he continues to serve as reviewer for many scientific journals.