How can you be proactive about your college success?
One of the best ways is to evaluate your strategies for learning and understand how you learn most effectively. Memorization may have served you well in high school, but it will not be sufficient at UTC. We want to help you understand what techniques for learning will empower your success in science. How are we planning to do this?
How to Learn Biology Summer Prep Program
This FREE, 7-week online program (July 3 – August 20, 2023) is designed to teach growth mindset strategies that empower students to succeed in biology and other college level courses. This program was first offered during summer 2022 and saw marked student success. Incoming freshmen who took the summer prep program were more successful in BIOL 110 in fall semester than other freshmen who did not take the summer prep program.
What types of activities will the program contain?
- There will be weekly modules that you complete asynchronously online in Canvas (the campus online learning management system).
- You will be expected to logon a few times throughout the week to engage in the program and interact with your peers.
- Tools for improving your learning strategies are presented and you select which tools will support your success.
- Introductory biology concepts will be shared to help you apply your new strategies to actual content.
- Assignments will include discussion boards, self-reflection, content quizzes and biology learning activities.