We offer an undergraduate major in Humanities with a concentration in Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies and minor that examine how gender, ethnicity, and class intersect in society and culture from multiple perspectives across the arts and sciences.
- We critically examine the intellectual, artistic, material, and spiritual contributions of women throughout history from a variety of cultures.
- We empower our students with the theories and concepts needed to understand how gendered power dynamics operate.
- We investigate the connection between Southern contexts and national and global women's issues.
- We provide opportunities for service learning and community engagement from a feminist perspective.
From the Director
What can the Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies Program offer you?
- Work with WGSS’s community partners on gender-related projects:
- The League of Women Voters of Chattanooga
- Girls Inc. of Chattanooga
- A Step Ahead Foundation Chattanooga
- The Women’s Fund of Greater Chattanooga
- The Partnership for Families, Children, and Adults
- Prepare for a career in a gender-focused field by doing service-learning projects and internships
- Learn about gender-related topics and issues from the perspective of multiple disciplines:
- Criminal Justice
- Modern Languages
- Health Sciences
- Political Science
- Theatre Studies
- Collaborate with other WGSS majors and minors on projects outside the classroom:
- Women’s History Month Events
- Generation Action Events
- Voter Registration Drives
- Women’s Center Events
- Sexual Assault Hotline Trainings
- Compete for the Felicia Sturzer or Leila J. Pratt Scholarships (found on the Scholarships page)
Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies offers a 30-hour major and an18-hour minor. Come join us! Contact Dr. Marcia Noe for more information (423) 266-9316; [email protected]
Professor of English and Director, Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies
See what we're doing.
The Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies Newsletter →
Read stories about our program at UTC →