The Philosophy and Religion New Major Award
This award is intended for an outstanding student who has been majoring in philosophy or religion for less than 1 year. Incoming freshmen who plan to major in philosophy or religion are encouraged to apply. The amount of the award is $500.
All applications should include:
- A letter of application in which the applicant explains why s/he wants to major in philosophy or religion.
- If the applicant is an incoming freshman, high school transcripts and ACT/SAT scores.
- At least one letter of recommendation from a professor, teacher, or mentor attesting to the applicant’s potential for the study of philosophy or religion.
Please submit all application materials to [email protected].
Application deadline: March 1st.
Note that recipients of this award can only receive it for one year; it is not renewable for subsequent years.
Leba and Moses Lebovitz Scholarship Recipients
Established in 1989 by Moses Lebovitz, UC Class of '28, charter member of the UC Foundation, and chairman of the board of CBL, Inc., one of the largest developers of shopping centers in the United States, with preference given to Jewish students. Enhanced in 1994 to include extra provision for exchange of students between UTC and the University of Haifa, Israel.
- 2009 -Kent Dickson - $2,000 in support of his studies abroad in Britain, where he will work on the Islamization of British culture during his spring 2010 semester.
Robert Mildram Scholarship
This is a scholarship which all students, even incoming freshmen, are eligible, whether they are majors in our department or not. But because the scholarship is in honor of one of our former department members, special consideration is to be given to majors in Philosophy and Religion. The award is administered by the UTC Scholarship Selection Committee and is under the umbrella of the University of Chattanooga Foundation.
Robert Cecil Mildram Prize
The Mildram Prize is offered annually to a student who has, in the opinion of the department, best exemplified among the departmental majors a commitment to scholarship, academic excellence, and departmental participation
- 2013 - Jenny Edwards
- 2012 - Abbie Sparks and Daniel Cartwright
- 2011 - Kenneth Dickson
- 2010 - Kevin Wiles and Devin Rutledge
- 2009 - Daniel Cheon
- 2008 - Abby Sparks
- 2007 - Shawn Hays
- 2006 - Darris Saylors
- 2005 - Gregory Smith