Achieving Success, Chemistry Help, and More
For success think: (OT)4 = (on time) (on task) (on track) (ownership taken)
on time - would it help to be on time or early and prepared for activities: lecture, lab, study?
on task - do your every day actions (what you are doing right now) fit with your broader plans?
on track - are the decisions you are making now carrying you in the direction you want?
ownership taken - are you responsible for your decisions, actions, and life path from now forward?
Scheduling your time:
You will find it quite helpful to plan out your schedule for typical week to see how you are going to fit studying into your daily activities. For a Blank Week Schedule go to 24/7 scheduling sheet. Fill in all your activities - sleeping, eating, classes, studying, etc. For a chemistry lecture class you need to schedule and spend 1.5 hours a day/6 days a week (or the equivalent time per week) studying and learning chemistry.
To learn chemistry you should:
- Read and study all the relevant textbook material as covered in class.
- Attend lectures, write notes repeatedly to learn your class notes. Study on-line notes (Bring errors to my attention).
- Work all assigned homework problems (see UTC Learn: Blackboard course).
- Additional practice exercises and problems throughout chapters.
- Write specific questions you have and seek answers and understanding.
- Schedule 9 hours per week for Chemistry lecture study (Example 1.5 hours a day for 6 days a week).
General Helps and More:
- Video Properties of Elements - http://www.periodicvideos.com/
- seeing is believing - click element - wonderful videos
- Study Suggestions, Test Anxiety, Practice Questions - http://www.utc.edu/faculty/gretchen-potts/ - thanks to Dr. Potts
- Education Portal Library of Videos for math - http://education-portal.com/academy/subject/mathematics.html
- and science - http://education-portal.com/academy/subject/science.html
- Kahn Academy with video lectures on math, science, etc. - https://www.khanacademy.org/
- Click on Element and Get Information - http://www.webelement.com/
- National Science Digital Library - http://nsdl.org/
- Chemical Education Digital Library - http://www.chemeddl.org
- Chem Tutorials - http://www.learncheme.com/ - http://faculty.madisoncollege.edu/dbshaw/Netorial/index.htm
- Wiki Book General Chemistry - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_chemistry
- Online General Chemistry - http://chemistry.about.com/od/generalchemistry/
Computational Knowledge Engine http://www.wolframalpha.com/ compute anything - ask it a question
Cell biology http://www.cellsalive.com/index.htm