SERVICE & PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
Service is an important aspect of academic life, and the range of possible service activities is widespread. I have participated in numerous service and professional activities at the University and Departmental level as well as other professional and Science outreach activities. Below there are some of these highlighted activities. Because of its quality and wide range, the material below demonstrate excellence in service and professional activities.
The material below is presented in a form that addresses requirements for promotion as presented in official UTC documents: UTC Faculty Handbook, College of Arts and Science Bylaws, and Department of Chemistry and Physics Bylaws. Some of the highlights might seem trivial but are mentioned in official UTC documents so are included here as well.
I have served on various university-level committees at UTC.
- Grade Appeal Committee (2013-2014)
- Budget and Economic Status Committee (2015-2016)
- Budget and Economic Status Committee (2017-2018)
- Learning Environment Committee (2018-2019)
- Learning Environment Committee (2019-2020)
- Lecture Capture Committee (2019-2020)
I have attended or participated in campus-wide meetings and activities on various UTC issues.
- UTC Strategic Plan
- Budget Reduction
- Convocation activities
- Faculty Senate, etc
I have participated in UTC Commencement Ceremony activities (2015-present).
I have served in numerous departmental-level committees at UTC.
- BA Chemistry Committee (2012-2013)
- Technology Committee (2012-2018)
- Physical Chemistry Assistant Professor Search Committee (2013-2014)
- CHEM 1120 Recertification Committee - chair (2015-2016)
- Reappointment, Tenure and Promotion Committee (2015-2020)
- Grote Scholarship Committee (2016-2019)
- General Chemistry Textbook Committee (2016-2017)
- Curriculum Committee (2019-2020)
- Recruitment and Retention Committee (2019-2020)
- Scholarship Committee (2019-2020)
I have served as manager for General Education recertification process for CHEM 1120 General Chemistry II in 2015-16 academic year.
I have served as manager for General Chemistry textbook selection in 2017, and worked with Pearson representatives to finalize the custom textbooks to be used in our General Chemistry classes.
I have managed Chemistry Department website from 2013 to 2016 and from 2019 to current.
I have consistently hosted outside speakers to our departmental seminar and talked to speakers hosted by other faculty.
I served as reviewer for numerous research manuscripts submitted for publication in Chemistry journals.
- Advances in Physical Chemistry
- Central European Journal of Chemistry
- Chemical Physics
- International Journal of Molecular Sciences
- International Journal of Quantum Chemistry
- Journal of the American Chemical Society
- Journal of Chemical and Engineering Data
- Journal of Coordination Chemistry
- Journal of Organic Chemistry
- Journal of Physical Chemistry
- Journal of Physical Organic Chemistry
- Journal of Undergraduate Chemistry Research
- Molecular Catalysis
- Phosphorus, Sulfur, and Silicon and the Related Elements
- Theoretical Chemistry Accounts
I served as reviewer for a book chapter.
- Kinetics and Dynamics From Nano- to Bio-Scale, Springer, 2010
I served as reviewer for research proposals submitted to various funding agencies.
- Petroleum Research Fund - American Chemical Society
- National Science Foundation
- Ralph E. Powe Junior Faculty Award - Oak Ridge Associated Universities
I served as reviewer for General Chemistry textbooks.
- Chemistry: A Molecular Approach (2nd edition) by Tro
- Chemistry: Atoms First (2nd edition) by Burdge and Overby
I created and reviewed multiple times Physical Chemistry questions for the GRE Chemistry test (2015-2019).
I served as reviewer for UTC student research proposals.
- PSRA proposals (2016)
- SEARCH proposals (2019)
I am an active member of the American Chemical Society since 1996, and I have attended meetings of the Local Chapter of ACS.
I participated in numerous community outreach activities including chemistry/science demonstrations, mostly organized by the UTC Student Chemistry Club.
- Participant in Chemistry/Science outreach activities in Cookeville, TN (2003-2010)
- Grader for Science poster competition, Cookeville area (2004-2008)
- Grader for Chemistry Olympiad, Cookeville, TN (2006-2010)
- Participant in Chemistry Club Alzheimer’s Walk (2012)
- Participant in Chemistry/Science hands-on experiments for 5th graders at Brown Academy, Chattanooga (2012)
- Organizer and participant National Chemistry Week activities at Chattanooga Creative Discovery Museum (2012-2016)
- Judge for a Math Poster competition, UTC (2014)
- Participant in the Battle Banzai Festival at Battle Academy, Chattanooga (2015-2017)
- Presenter of a Science experiment at Battle Academy, Chattanooga (2019)
I have served in the Departmental/Honors Thesis Committee for UTC Chemistry students.
- Hendrik Greve
- Michelle Smith
- Patrick Carey
- Charles Thomas
- Jay Nguyen
- Neethu Kurien
- Kevin Lee
I have served as research director for Departmental/Honors Thesis candidates.
- Charles Thomas (2017)
- Kevin Lee (2019)
I have served in the M.S. and Ph.D. Committees for Tennessee Tech graduate students.
- Nuwan De Silva (MS-Chemistry)
- Viola Meadows (MS-Chemistry)
- Saravanan Swaminathan (PhD-Chemical Engineering)
- Barath Baburao (PhD-Chemical Engineering)
- Manjiri Endait (MS-Chemistry)
- Tiffaney Mathis (MS-Chemistry)
- Mahesh Dawadi (MS-Chemistry)
- Roshan Fernando (MS-Chemistry)
- Wasana Senevirathna (MS-Chemistry)
- Lasantha Rathnayake (MS-Chemistry)
Current service activities (during Fall 2019 semester):
- Initiate and participate in Freshman Mentorship Program in Chemistry Program
- Participate in recruitment and retention activities for Chemistry Program
- Work on updating the catalog description of Chemistry classes
- Work on updating the departmental website
- Work on setting up the new Westbrook sholarships
- Work on updating the departmental bylaws and procedures
- Host an outside seminar speaker (Dr. Konstantinos D. Vogiatzis, UTK) and meet with other seminar speakers
- Participate in planning for a university-wide lecture capture system
- Participate in discussions on teaching environment at UTC
- Attend OU campus (software for web editing) and Curriculog (software of curriulum changes) trainings
- Attend UTC Convocation ceremony
- Review GRE Physical Chemistry questions
- Participate in hands-on outreach activity at an elementary school (Battle Academy) in Chattanooga