Dr. Lan Gao
- Postdoctoral Training (2010-2012): Department of Biostatistics, St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
- Ph.D. in Statistics (2005-2010) University of Mississippi
- NSF grant on data science now is recruiting undergraduate students in MATH majors with $5000 scholaorship per year per person. Contact Dr. Gao for details.
- Analysis of medical data ( funding available for graduate research assistant )
- Statistical and computational methods for the analysis of genetics/genomics data
- High dimensional biology and statistical computing
- Image and big data analysis
Professional Development & Membership
- Editor of International Journal of Environmental Sciences & Natural Resources
- Member of American Statistical Association, ENAR,International Biometric Society , ICSA
I teach statistics and mathematics courses at all levels for undergraduates and graduates including
- Computational Statistics (new course for Ph.D and master students)
- Applied Statistical Methods
- Computational Statistics and Programming
- Mathematical Statistics
- Analysis of Variance
- Introduction to Probability and Statistics (online and face to face)
- Generalized Linear Models
- Statistical Machine Learning
- Calculus I (Hybrid and face to face)
- Calculus for Management, Life, and Social Sciences
- Introductory Statistics (online and face to face)
- PI of Bimedical Research Initiation Collaborative Grant, "Assocaition of hyperchloremia and in-hospital mortality among critical ill adults patients", Jan 2020- June 2021.
- Co-PI of NSF grant (#1924278) "HDR DSC: Collaborative Research: Transforming Data Science Education through a Portable and Sustainable Anthropocentric Data Analytics for Community Enrichment Program", 2019-2022.
- PI of 2017 University of Tennessee System CORNET Award (Collaborative Research Network) in cancer, 6/2017-6/2018
- Co-PI of MAA Dolciani Mathematics Enrichment Grant (PI: Andrew Ledoan)
- 2017 Dean's Award: Promising Young Researcher Award
- Co-PI, NSF I-MATH grant (PI: Jin Wang, NSF1520672 ), an Interdisciplinary MATH Training Platform (09/01/2015-08/31/2019).
- 2016 Univeristy of Tennessee Alumni Outstanding Teacher Award
- 2016 UTC Research and Creative Activity Grant
- 2015 Ruth Holmberg for Faculty of Excellence Award
- UTC Faculty Research and Development Grant (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017)