- UTC Study Abroad Scholarships
The Office of Study Abroad is able to award a wide variety of scholarships to qualified UTC students every year.
We award scholarships to students participating in the following program options: faculty-led programs, provider programs, exchange programs, select non-UTC affiliated programs, and those participating in a Featured Program.
We also have limited funds available to students who wish to conduct research abroad (for UTC credit).
Make sure you are completing all UTC study abroad requirements through your UTC study abroad portal by the posted deadline in order to be considered for an Office of Study Abroad scholarship. Failure to complete all portal requirements by the posted deadline will make you ineligible for scholarship consideration.
You can read about the experiences of past study abroad scholarship recipients in our Student Experiences section.
1) be a degree-seeking, undergraduate or graduate students at UTC;
- Online students who are not registered for an on-campus UTC course are not eligible
2) Applicants must have a minimum cumulative 2.5 GPA at UTC;
3) Undergraduate Applicants must have passed and completed at least 24 credit hours at UTC;
- Undergraduate applicants who have transferred in credit from other institutions, putting them above 24 credit hours, may be considered on a case-by-case basis
- Undergraduate Transfer Applicants: must have passed and completed at least 12 credit hours at UTC
- Graduate Applicants: must be currently enrolled in a UTC on-campus course Faculty-Led Applicants below the minimum 24 credit hours at UTC will be considered on a case-by-case basis
4) Applicants must receive UTC academic credits for their study abroad;
- Exceptions are made for students participating in the Cadiz, Spain research abroad program and those presenting research at international conferences
5) Applicants must receive appropriate level credit for their study abroad classes (ex. graduate students must receive graduate level credit)
- Exceptions may be made for graduate students who wish to study abroad in an intensive language program;
6) Applicants must be accepted into a study abroad, intern abroad, or research abroad program offered and approved by UTC Office of Study Abroad;
7) Travel to a third country, if an international student;
8) Must be willing to share their experiences abroad with the UTC academic community by completing the post-study abroad essay assignment;
9) Must fill out the study abroad evaluation with their study abroad testimonial at the end of their time abroad;
10) Graduating seniors must set their graduation date for the term in which your study abroad program ends (i.e. studying abroad summer 2023, graduate summer 2023). You also must work with your academic advising office to set your graduation date. Students who graduate before the start of their study abroad program are not eligible;
11) To be eligible for a study abroad scholarship through the Center for Global Education, all Via study abroad requirements/paperwork must be completed by the posted scholarship deadlines (listed below). Applicants who have incomplete Via applications after the deadline will NOT be eligible to receive a CGE study abroad scholarship;
12) To be eligible for a study abroad scholarship through the Center for Global Education, all applicants are required to attend a Study Abroad 103: Pre-Departure Information Session and must complete all International SOS requirements. If you have previously studied abroad through a UTC program, please notify the Office of Study Abroad. Failure to attend Study Abroad 103 and complete all International SOS requirements will make applicants ineligible for the study abroad scholarship. It is your responsibility to notify the Office of Study Abroad if you cannot make one of the posted Study Abroad 103 sessions (you must notify the Office of Study Abroad prior to the posted sessions);
13) To be eligible for the study abroad scholarship through the Office of Study Abroad, students must have filed a FAFSA application.
14) Students who have previously received a study abroad scholarship through the Office of Study Abroad will be considered as waitlist candidates for the scholarship (should they meet the minimum qualifications for scholarship consideration). Priority consideration for scholarships will be given to applicants who have not previously studied abroad while at UTC, who have not previously received a UTC study abroad scholarship, and who meet the minimum scholarship application requirements;
15) Students participating in study abroad programs run by/through other US universities are ineligible for the Center for Global Education scholarship.
- Award Amounts
Scholarship award amounts vary depending on a number of different factors. The Office of Study Abroad takes into consideration the following:
- Scholarship Application
- Scholarship Essay
- Location of Study Abroad
- Length of Study Abroad (i.e. summer, semester, yearlong)
Fall/Academic Year: May 1
Spring: Nov. 1
Summer: April 1
Faculty-Led: Varies by Trip (check your Via portal for deadlines)
- How to Apply
UTC students who are planning on studying abroad must complete the UTC study abroad requirements through their UTC Study Abroad Portal (Via).
The study abroad scholarship application is available through Via once a student has submitted an application for a specific program (through Via) and the Office of Study Abroad has approved the application.
All students (except for faculty-led program participants) are required to meet with a study abroad advisor BEFORE they begin the Via application process.
Students who fail to complete ALL required Via materials by the program application deadline will not be eligible for the study abroad scholarship.
- Post-Study Abroad Scholarship Requirements
UTC students who receive a study abroad scholarship will be required to complete post-study abroad scholarship requirements. Recipients will be required to submit the following:
- Post-study abroad essay
- Minimum of 10 photos
- Brief study abroad testimonial.
Office of Study Abroad staff will reach out to recipients regarding these requirements. Featured Program Scholarship recipients will have certain additional requirements to complete.
Students who have recently returned from a study abroad experience will receive an email from the Office of Study Abroad regarding their post-study abroad scholarship requirements. Please also take a moment to complete the Post-Study Abroad Evaluation.
- URaCE/Office of Study Abroad Collaborations (+ Scholarships!)
The Office of Study Abroad has partnered with URaCe on a number of scholarship opportunities.
Summer Business Research Internship
Summer Research Service Learning Abroad
Virtual International Undergraduate Research Internship (VIURI)
International Conference Award
Continue to check back for new opportunities (that are currently in development).