Building Use and Conduct Policies
As part of a public university, the UTC Library is open to University affiliates and the general public as well. Both affiliates and guests may use most of the Library's materials on site whenever the Library is open.
In order to maintain a welcoming environment conducive to research and study, all Library patrons are expected to conduct themselves in a responsible manner. Disciplinary action for violating library policy shall be governed by the applicable provisions of the UTC Student Handbook, the UTC Faculty Handbook, UT Personnel Policy manuals, and local, state, and federal laws.
If you have any questions or concerns about building use guidelines, stop by one of the library service desks.
UTC Library does not permit any behavior which is incompatible with use of the library by its patrons or staff. Specific examples of disruptive behaviors include, but are not limited to:
- Creating excessive noise or using audible MP3 players or other sound generating devices (see also Use of Cell Phones)
- Hostile or rowdy behavior, including but not limited to horseplay, fighting, threatening, intimidating, or abusing library staff or patrons with words or actions
- Harassment of patrons or staff, including sexual harassment
- Overt signs of drunkenness or other substance abuse
- Bringing bedding or excessive amounts of personal property into UTC Library
- Overt sexual behavior
- Bringing weapons into the UTC Library (other than law enforcement officials with appropriate identification)
- Entering areas of the library marked “Staff Only” without permission
- Posing a sanitary or health risk to others, including but not limitedto offensive hygiene or the absence of shirts and/or shoes while in the building
- Using the restrooms for purposes other than those for which theywere intended, including but not limited to bathing
Cell Phones and Other Electronic Devices
- Cell phone usage is permitted in the UTC Library.
- Quiet, brief cell phone conversations may be held inside the library building.
- Longer or louder conversations should be held outside or in the library foyer.
- Out of courtesy and consideration for other patrons, we request that you please silence all cellular phones and pagers while in the library.
Children’s Use of UTC Library
- UTC Library is not responsible for the safety of children left unattended in the Library.
- Children must be in the immediate vicinity of and in visual contact with a parent/caregiver. Security may be contacted if the responsible adult is not present.
- At the discretion of Library staff, unattended children may be permitted to remain if they are using the library for research and are behaving in an appropriate manner.
- Any person (including children accompanied by adults) behaving in an unacceptable manner (see Disruptive Behavior) will be asked to leave the Library.
- Groups of people under the age of 18 (including university sponsored summer groups)
High school groups should contact the Library in advance to make special arrangements
for a librarian-led instruction session.
- Have at least one adult chaperone per 15 children.
- Be actively assisted with research by their chaperones.
- Be supervised by at least one chaperone on each floor of the Library where students are working.
- Comply with all UTC Library policies and procedures.
- Library Contact Form
Food and Drink
- Beverages and food are allowed in UTC Library.
- Patrons are urged to exercise caution with food and drink in any library computer, copy machine, or microform reader area.
- Please be mindful of spills and debris, and alert library staff at the nearest service desk if spills or stains occur.
- Please dispose of all litter in the provided trash cans.
- Recycling containers are located on each floor in the snack area and near the elevators.
- Library staff may dispose of food and beverages left unattended or inappropriately discarded.
Alcohol and Tobacco
- In compliance with University policy, the use of alcohol and tobacco products is not permitted in UTC Library.
Unattended Personal Items
- UTC Library is not responsible for personal items left unattended in the Library.
- Unattended personal items may be subject to search and/or confiscation by UTC security personnel.
- Animals are not permitted in UTC Library with the exception of properly identified assistance animals.
Library Meeting Rooms and Classrooms
- Due to space limitations for groups larger than six, Library Meeting Rooms are restricted to academic classes and library-related purposes. All other uses must be approved by the Library Dean.
- Library Classrooms (204, 205 and 321) can be reserved on a limited basis for one-time use by academic groups with advance approval provided that the room is free. Library Classrooms are not reservable on a recurring basis throughout the semester. Library instruction sessions take priority and other groups may be asked to reschedule at a later date if the room is needed for an instruction session.
- Groups of six or less can check out a study room key at the Circulation desk. For more information, see the Reserve a Room page.
- Devices needing electrical supply can only be used near designated outlets. Power cords may not be strung across walkways.
Posting Flyers and Announcements in the Library
The library maintains a “UTC and Community News and Events” bulletin board on the ground floor. Any library patron may post materials to this board. The following policies apply:
- Materials advertising an event will be removed following the date of the event.
- Materials that are not dated will be removed each Sunday night.
- Materials may be removed at any time at the discretion of library staff.
Inclement Weather/Emergency Closing Policy
In the case of inclement weather or other emergency, please contact the circulation desk at (423) 425-4501 for library hours. For the official University closing policy, see UTC's Inclement Weather Policy. In general, the library uses the following guidelines:
- If UTC is officially closed, the Library is closed.
- If UTC’s opening is officially delayed, the Library will open at the same time as the University.
- If UTC officially closes early, the Library will close at the same time as the University.
- If the inclement weather or other emergency occurs at a time when the Library is open but classes are not in session, Library hours will be determined by the Library Dean.