Participation in a retirement plan is a condition of employment for regular full-time employees and optional for regular part-time employees. The State of Tennessee is the administrator for the retirement plan for all State employees, including the University of Tennessee.
Effective July 1, 2014, the State of Tennessee is updating its retirement plan. Read more about the New Hybrid pension plans.
For employees who begin employment on or after July 1, 2014 the following will apply:
- Regular nonexempt employees will participate in the TN Consolidated Retirement System (TCRS) Hybrid Plan.
- Regular full-time faculty and exempt staff will participate in either the TN Consolidated Retirement System (TCRS) Hybrid Plan or the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP).
Employees hired before July 1, 2014 will not be affected by this change. View FAQs for current employees.
TN Consolidated Retirement System
The Tennessee Consolidated Retirement System (TCRS) is the retirement plan that covers employees of the State of Tennessee, public colleges and universities, and public elementary and secondary schools. TCRS retirement benefits are computed under a formula which uses the average of the member's highest five consecutive years of salary (while a member of TCRS) and the years of service credited in TCRS. Employees participating in TCRS are vested after 5 years of service.
Optional Retirement Plan
All contributions made to the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP) are 100% vested from the date of contribution. ORP retirement benefits are based on the member's account balance and the member's age at the time benefits begin. You may choose from one or more of the three investment companies:
- ING/VOYA (representative Ed Stewart @ 615-627-5936)
- TIAA-CREF (representative John Reeder @ 866-842-2336 ext 252916)
- Valic Retirement (local representative Celeste Friend @ 423-227-0281)