Winter Break Closing
All residence halls will close for Winter Break from:
Tuesday, December 9th at 12:00pm until Saturday, January 3rd at 8:00am.
Winter Break Check Out
- All residents are required to do a winter break check-out with the Residence Life staff.
- Residents must check out within 24 hours of their last final or by Tuesday, December 9th at 12pm (which ever comes first).
- Residents will sign up for a check-out time with their Resident Assistant.
- Residents will turn in their room key to their Resident Assistant at check-out. Students will not have access to their apartments from December 9th to January 3rd.
- Residents may leave belongings in their room; however, UTC Housing and Residence Life is not responsible for items left in rooms.
- Student should reference procedures given to them by their Resident Assistant to ensure a proper check-out.
- December graduates:
- Complete a Housing Cancellation Request (form available through Manage My Housing)
- Schedule a check-out appointment with your Resident Director.
- Graduates must be checked out by Sunday, December 14th at 12pm.
- After Closing:
- Resident Directors will complete final walk-throughs of all rooms/apartments.
- Maintenance will enter rooms/apartments to complete repairs.
- RBS cleaning compnay will enter vacant rooms for cleaning.
Winter Break Room Changes
Winter Break Room Change (free move period) - please log into your Mange My Housing account and:
Complete the Room Change Request form. Requests must be submitted by and receive RD approval by November 25, 2014 to be considered.
Meet with your RD after you have completed the form.
- Submitting a request and receiving Resident Director approval does not guarantee a
room change will be approved.
- Room changes will depend on room availability and students preferences.
- Requests will be reviewed based on the date the request was submitted and approved by the Resident Director.
- Final approval will come from the Main housing office.
- Students approved for a winter break room change:
- Will receive an email notification from email@example.com
- Will need to completely vacate their fall room
- Will move into their Spring room in January
- Submitting a request and receiving Resident Director approval does not guarantee a room change will be approved.
*Note: Assignment for those approved for a room change will be adjusted on the students account December 15-19th.
Permission to Stay Over Break
Designated Winter Break housing facilities are Boling and Stophel Apartments. Only residents that are residing in those complexes will be considered for Winter Break stay over. All requests to stay over Winter Break must be submitted in writing to, and pre-approved by an Assistant Director for Residence Life. Requests for Winter Break stay over will be considered beginning November 1, 2014 through November 24, 2014. Requests submitted after November 25, 2014 will not be considered. If approved, an additional charge for residing on campus during the Winter Break period will be assessed to your account.
If you should have additional questions, regarding the Winter Break Policy please contact your Assistant Director for Residence Life.
Breaking Your Contract (Housing Cancellation Request)
Please read your housing contract carefully!
By default, all housing contracts are for the academic year (Fall and Spring semester). Our policy states:
“CANCELLATION (Resident): Housing facilities are rented for the academic year beginning on the Commencement Date and ending on the Expiration Date. No Resident may withdraw from the housing except in case of extreme necessity and approved by the University. Cancellation of registration or academic suspension does not automatically release the Resident from the contract. Subletting by the Resident is not permitted. Students should submit their request to break their nine month housing contract by filling out the "Housing Cancellation Request" form located through Manage My Housing. Residents who are permitted to break their housing contract will be subject to a penalty.”
As discussed above, you will need to log into your Mange My Housing and submit a "Housing Cancellation Request" if you wish to submit a request to break your contract. If you are approved by our office to break your contract, in most cases a housing penalty equivalent to one month's rent will still be assessed for all upperclassmen.
Freshmen Only: Furthermore, your contract explains the residential requirements governing freshmen, and it reads:
Freshmen requesting to be released from Housing must remember that they are required to live on campus for one academic year. Freshmen withdrawing from housing will be assessed a penalty for terminating your contract. Penalty charges will be the equivalent to the remaining monies due on your housing contract for the academic year. If you have any questions, please call us so we can provide any additional information you may need to make an informed decision: (423) 425-4304.