River City Clarinet Winter Festival 2014
HIGH SCHOOL SOLO COMPETITION
RULES AND PROCEDURES
Eligibility: The competition is open to all interested high school clarinetists (grades 9-12).
Repertoire: a single-movement work (or a single movement from a multi-movement work) for clarinet and piano or unaccompanied clarinet. The work must not exceed 10 minutes in length. Contestants may not change repertoire choice after application materials have been submitted.
Deadline: Applications must be postmarked by Friday, December 6, 2013. Applications postmarked after the deadline will not be accepted. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Preliminary Round: The preliminary round will consist of a mail-in application packet; contestants will receive email notification upon receipt of complete application materials; a second email will inform contestants of their status regarding advancement to the final round of competition.
Instructions: Print, complete, and mail application materials to:
RCCWF 2014 High School Solo Competition
ATTN: Dr. Nikolasa Tejero, program director
UTC Music Department—DEPT 1451
615 McCallie Avenue
Chattanooga, Tennessee 37403
Application Materials Check-list: A complete application packet MUST include the following materials:
- Completed and signed application form
- Recommendation letter written by the applicant’s private teacher or band director.
- Unedited CD recording featuring the contestant performing his/her solo of choice.
*NOTE: Recordings of pieces written for clarinet and piano must be performed with accompaniment in the recording.
Final Round: Contestants advancing to the final round of competition will be notified via email no later than December 15, 2013. The final round will be a closed live performance for an adjudicating panel.
- Final Round auditions will be held Friday, January 3, 2014, from 5-7:00 PM, in Cadek Recital Hall (UTC campus).
- Contestants will perform a live audition consisting of their prepared solo. Contestants must perform the repertoire selection on their original applications.
- Contestants performing repertoire for clarinet with piano accompaniment must perform their live audition with accompaniment. Contestants will have the choice of bringing their own pianists or using a pianist provided by the festival.
- Three winners will be chosen after the final round of auditions and will be announced during the “Welcome” remarks of the River city Clarinet Winter Festival 2014. The Solo Competition winners will participate in the masterclass with one of the Festival guest artists, and will perform their solos as part of the Festival Concert, to be held in the Roland Hayes Concert Hall, on Saturday, January 4, 2014, at 4:30 PM.