Frequently Asked Questions (and tips, too!)
Do night students have to buy a decal?
No one who comes on campus after 5 p.m. needs a decal as long as they do not park in spots that are enforced 24-hours (Lots 21, 24, 47, 48, and 51, Fire Lane, Handicap, and specially marked spots).
Why can't I buy a reserved decal in a lot that always has spaces in it?
Each reserved lot is sold on a percentage basis of usage. Not all decal holders are here at the same time.
My car is in the shop and I left my decal in it. What can I do to avoid getting a ticket?
Come by the parking services office to obtain a temporary pass for the day.
Are UTC decals valid for city streets?
No, decals are only valid for university lots. The Fortwood district requires a Fortwood resident permit from the city of Chattanooga.
How much do parking decals cost?
Please check out our decal costs page.
- If you have a reserved decal and your lot is full, you can park in any general lot on campus.
- Fire lanes, handicap spaces, 24-hour reserved lots (lots 21, 47, and 51), and specially marked spaces (Cadek, WUTC, etc.) are enforced 24-hours a day, 7 days a week.
- If you have someone visiting the campus, they can park in the 5th street parking garage.
- Legal spots are marked with lines in paved lots and concrete bumper blocks in unpaved lots, so if a space has neither one it's not a legal spot.
- If you are parked illegally, turning on your emergency lights will not keep you from getting a ticket.
- If you feel you had a valid emergency you can appeal your ticket.
- Parking in the striped area beside a handicap space is considered a handicap violation, because the striped areas are access aisles and legally part of the handicap space.
- Parking decals for lots 24 and 48 are only good M-F, 8a.m.-5p.m.