Quality Matters Course Certification Process
A course must be submitted for an official external Quality Matter review to become a Quality Matters certified course. Before submitting your course for an official Quality Matters review, please keep in mind that courses should either be developed to meet the Quality Matters rubric standards, or be revised to specifically meet the requirements of the Quality Matters rubric if the course is already developed. We complete one formal QM review per course (multiple sections of a course are not reviewed).
1. The following items must be met before an official external Quality Matters review begins:
- Complete the Applying the Quality Matters Rubric (APPQMR) workshop. Make sure that you save your certificate of completion.
- Review the Quality Matters rubric and make modifications to your course to address the Specific Review Standards.
- Complete a formal self-review in the Quality Matters Course Review Management System and email the report to the Walker Center. In the recommendation section, provide detailed information of how a course has met each standard. Contact the Walker Center for instructions on how to complete a self- review or watch the QM Self Review Tool tutorial video.
- Make all course documents, materials, activities, and assessments available in the course sandbox. Textbooks (electronic version perferable) must be available to reviewers. If you need a UTC Learn sandbox, email a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ensure that all course materials are in an accessible format (e.g. video captioning).
- If the course regularly has multiple sections when taught, it is strongly recommended that all full-time faculty that regularly teach the course consult on how the course will meet the QM Rubric Specific Review Standards. We complete the official external Quality Matters review one time per course; multiple sections of the same course will not be reviewed. QM Policies
2. To begin an official external Quality Matters review the following will occur:
- Once the Course Representative has completed the APPQMR workshop and the self review, they will need to click here to access and submit the Quality Matters Course Certification application form.
- Fill in all fields on the application. You will need to attach a copy of the APPQMR certificate, the course syllabus, and the self-review.
- Once submitted, an approval request will be sent to the Department Head. Once approved, a senior instructional developer from the Walker Center will review the application and advise the course representative through the certification process.