Academic Continuity for UTC Students
Emergency events such as natural disasters and disease outbreaks have the potential to disrupt scheduled face-to-face and hybrid courses on campus. In the event face-to-face classroom instruction is interrupted for an extended period of time, UTC is ready. The information below can help you be ready as well.
Communicate with Your Instructors
During times when regular schedules are disrupted, it is crucial to stay in touch with your instructors and campus. In addition to receiving alerts from the university through the various notification avenues, you will receive important information through Canvas. Be sure you have your Notifications in Canvas turned on for announcements and conversations (email), which you instructors will use to communicate about the plan for the course.
Check Your UTC Email
You can check your campus email when you are away from campus. Check it with a web browser or on your phone or mobile device.
UTC Learn Canvas Tutorials and Mobile App
Canvas tutorials and guides are available to assist you in being successful using Canvas for your course. Use the Canvas Mobile app to maintain access to your courses even when you are away from your computer. The Canvas Student App is available for download free from the Apple® App Store or Google Play.
Software for Students
Much of the software available in the computer labs is also available to you. You can install some software on your computer; other software is available through the web. Learn more about which software is available where.
Don’t forget that you can also use the online web apps from UTC’s Microsoft’s Office 365 (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and UTC’s Google G-Suite (Docs, Sheets, and Slides).
Test Your Computer Equipment
- Make sure you have tested your access to the following equipment at home:
- Laptop or desktop computer.
- Microphone – this may be built into your laptop or computer, or you may use an external device such as a USB microphone or headphones.
- Webcam – a camera may already be built into your laptop, but you can also use an external USB camera for video conferencing.
- Internet – either commercially provided (ex. EPB, Comcast, AT&T, etc), or a wireless hotspot through your mobile phone.
- Save your files online so you can get to them from anywhere. You can use your UTC Office 365 OneDrive and Google for online file storage.
Get Help with Canvas
UTC Learn Canvas Support
Click on the Canvas Support link at the bottom left of the global navigation menu in Canvas to call or chat with a Canvas support team member. You can also search the Canvas Guides for quick answers to common questions.
UTC IT Helpdesk