State Military Tuition Assistance
Tennessee STRONG Act: Tuition Reimbursement Program
The Tennessee STRONG (Support, Training and Renewing Opportunity for National Guardsmen) Act establishes a pilot program to provide eligible members of the Tennessee National Guard tuition funding toward a first-time bachelor's degree for the next four years through a tuition reimbursement program.
The STRONG Act provides educational opportunities for those who protect and serve the state and country and supports Tennessee's Drive to 55 initiative and its goal of 55 percent of Tennesseans with a post-secondary by 2025.
- Reimbursement for up to 120 credit hours or eight semesters
- Applies to pursuit of an associate’s or first bachelor’s degree
- Eligible National Guard members can apply upon successful completion of basic training
Student Step-by-Step Guide
- Notify Veteran Student Services by emailing email@example.com if you intend to use the Tennessee STRONG Act.
- Complete entire Tennessee STRONG Act application packet, all except for Enrollment Certification (Section V) Form.
- Submit Tennessee STRONG Act Tuition Reimbursement Authorization Release Form to the Veteran Student Services.
- Pick up Enrollment Certification (Section V) Form from Veteran Student Services (UC Room 141).
- Within 90 days from the end of the semester, submit completed Tennessee STRONG Act application to your unit/squadron commander for review and recommendation.
- Once application is signed by commander, submit the following items by email to your
state tuition assistance manager:
- Completed Tennessee STRONG Act application
- UTC transcript
- Degree plan (after nine earned credit hours)
- After semester has ended, complete and submit section VII-billing summary form, final transcript and itemized bill to state tuition assistance manager for approval.
For help with obtaining UTC documentation, view this Guide
8. Once reimbursement is approved, payment will be made to UTC Bursar's Office and you will be notified once payment has generated a refund for disbursement.