Military Student Advisory Council
In keeping with our mission to support and enhance the journey of our veteran and military family member students here at UTC, VSS understands that connection and communication are vital to success and growth. The mission of this council will be to address the needs and concerns of our veteran students from a campus-wide perspective, develop veteran liaisons with all student support service areas, and ensure that veteran students have a smooth transition from the military to campus with the necessary support and resources in place to promote academic excellence throughout their time here at UTC and beyond. This council is an opportunity to connect the greater Chattanooga community, alumni veterans, current student veterans, UTC staff, faculty, and administration and unite with one goal in mind: student veteran support and what we want that to look like at UTC.
- Create a culture of trust and connectedness across the campus community to promote well-being and success for veterans.
- Ensure consistent and sustained support from campus leadership.
- Implement an early alert system to ensure all veterans receive academic, career, and financial advice before challenges become overwhelming.
- Coordinate and centralize campus efforts for all veterans, together with the creation of a designated space for them (even if limited in size).
- Collaborate with the local community and organizations, including government agencies, to align and coordinate various services for veterans.
- Utilize a uniform set of data tools to collect and track information on veterans, including demographics, retention, and degree completion.
- Provide comprehensive professional development for faculty and staff on issues and challenges unique to veterans.
- Develop systems that ensure sustainability of effective practices for veterans.