The Upward Bound Math Science PRISM program at the University of Tennessee Chattanooga is part of the federally funded TRiO programs, whose purpose is to prepare low-income and first-generation college bound students for success in higher education. The goal of Upward Bound Math Science is to help students recognize and develop their potential to excel in math and science and to encourage them to pursue post-secondary degrees in those subjects.
The Upward Bound Math Science PRISM program serves 50 students from Brainerd High School and Howard School of Academics and Technology. UBMS students recognize and develop their potential to excel in fields related to Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM). All services rendered are free of charge to program participants and their families. The UBMS program services include:
- Year-round counseling, advisement and academic support services
- Summer programs with intensive math, science, writing and language training
- Exposure to research
- Education or counseling services designed to improve the financial and economic literacy of students
- Assistance with applications to competitive post-secondary institutions leading to a bachelor's degree in a STEM related discipline
There are two components to the UBMS program. One is the Academic Year Component and the other is the Summer Component. This model provides integration with academic researchers at UTC and offers expanded opportunities for program participants to prepare in greater depth for study in the STEM fields at the post-secondary level.
Students accepted to the program receive free services and are expected to make a serious commitment to both post-secondary education and the Upward Bound Math Science PRISM Program.
- Students must be an up and coming ninth grader or enrolled in the ninth, tenth, or eleventh grade at Brainerd High School or Howard School of Academics and Technology.
- Students must be a first-generation college-bound student (neither parent has graduated from a four-year institution).
- Students must meet the U.S. Department of Education income guide-lines.
- Students must be recommended by a Math and/or Science teacher
If you are interested in participating in the UBMS program, feel free to print and fill out our Application and turn it in, with all requested documentation, to our office:
Upward Bound Math Science PRISM
The Doctor’s Building, Suite 223
615 McCallie Avenue
Chattanooga, TN 374103-2598