File Management Tips
“What if I have multiple images or PDFs to upload? Do I have to rename every single file, every time I upload?”
The short answer is, “Yes”.
OU Campus will not permit uploads of files with Mixed Case, spaces, special characters, etc.
- PDF documents must be uploaded to the /pdf folder
- JPEG, PNG and GIF must be uploaded to the /images folder
- PPT, XLS, DOC must be uploaded to the /docs folder
The required file name convention is: lowercase alphanumeric, with hyphens as separators.
- e.g. my-image.jpg, 20010305-my-document.pdf
- not: March Meeting Minutes & Notes.pdf, I_think_this_is_Bobby?.jpg
Renaming files one at a time (whether before or during upload) may be a huge hassle if you have more than a few.
However, you can:
- batch download files from existing website via WebDAV
- batch rename the files to lowercase-hyphen
- compress multiple files to a zip archive
- upload via OU Campus zip import
Detailed info on batch file renaming (and shareware software tools) for Windows users: