Vaccination Requirements for Influenza (Flu) and COVID-19
Students who are still looking to get the vaccine should check with their personal healthcare provider, local health departments, and pharmacies in their area.
Important to Note
- The UT Board of Trustees approved an emergency resolution authorizing UT System to require the flu vaccine and possibly the COVID vaccine if one is developed and recommended by the CDC and Tennessee Department of Health.
- The CDC has noted the flu vaccine will be more important than ever during the 2020-2021 flu season.
- Students and employees may request an exemption to vaccine requirements.
- The immunization must have been received after August 15, 2020. The flu vaccine requirement is due by December 14, 2020 at 5:00 PM EST. If you have not satisfied the requirement by this time, you may receive an immunization hold on your account.
As the CDC has noted, the flu vaccine will be more important than ever in the 2020–21 flu season because of the potential for the flu and COVID-19 to be spreading at the same time. Flu vaccinations protect individuals, prevent additional stress on health care resources, and decrease the chances of a flu outbreak masking a COVID-19 outbreak.
- All members of the campus community will need a flu shot unless they receive an exemption.
- The flu shot requirement is based on the advice of public health experts.
- The flu vaccine is available now. Members of the campus community will be asked to have the shot before the start of the spring semester in January 2021.
- Flu vaccinations can be obtained at local health departments, any health care provider, and many pharmacies. In addition, the campus will set up opportunities for students, faculty, and staff to receive flu vaccinations on campus in various pop-up clinics starting October 1.
Student Flu Vaccine Submission Information
Please follow the instructions to submit your flu vaccine immunization date AND documentation within your Medicat Patient Portal. Click here to view step by step instructions.
Acceptable documentation for proof of receipt of the flu vaccine must include:
- Student's Full Legal Name
- Student's Date of Birth
- Proof of Immunization Given
- Date the Student Received the Vaccine
- Healthcare Provider's Name and/or Office Giving the Vaccination along with Facility Contact Information
Employee Flu Vaccine Submission Information
Please follow the instructions here to submit your flu vaccine information.
At this time, a COVID-19 vaccination is not anticipated for the upcoming academic year. The COVID-19 immunization would be required only if it has been medically proven to be safe and effective and is recommended by the CDC and Tennessee Department of Health.
Consistent with state law, the UT System has required certain vaccinations for incoming students for years. As with those vaccinations, exemptions from these requirements can be made for medical, religious, or other reasons.
Students should submit exemption documentation through the process outlined in the University Health Center's information about immunization requirements.