The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Teacher Education Program Background Check Procedures for Students
The State of Tennessee and the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Teacher Education Program requires you to undergo a Tennessee/TBI fingerprint-based background check.
Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 49, Chapter 5, Part 5610 specifies that all students wishing to enter approved teacher training programs in Tennessee shall be required to submit to a criminal history background check.
Policy Background: TCA 49-5-5610 requires students wishing to enter an approved teacher training program in Tennessee to:
- Agree to the release of all investigative records to the administrator of the teacher training program;
- Supply a fingerprint sample and submit to a criminal history records check to be conducted by the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation;
- Sign an authorization and release form authorizing a qualified Tennessee licensed private investigation company to complete a criminal history records check.
Please follow the steps below:
- Prior to being fingerprinted, complete and sign a Fingerprint Release Form and Privacy Rights Form. You may do this online or in the SOE office (312 Hunter Hall).
- Search by State: Tennessee
- Select Digital Fingerprinting
- Our agency name is “Non-DCS Child Care/Adoption Providers.”
- Applicant type: “Child Related Worker Volunteer (Private).”
- The ORI number for UTC is TNCC33059.
- Either enter zip code or on the map select the number 3 (green).
- Select your location, date, and time for your appointment
- Employer Name and Address: University of Tennessee at Chattanooga 615 McCallie Ave. Chattanooga, TN 37403 ATTN: Dr. Renee Murley, School of Education Dept 4154
- Be prepared to show a valid photo ID to the fingerprint staff on your printing date.
- After you get fingerprinted, they will give you a small square receipt (see picture below)***. You must email a copy of this receipt (taking a picture of it is fine) to email@example.com. You must put your UTC ID on the copy of the receipt. We will not search for your results unless we have received a copy of your receipt. The requirement will not be met until your clear results have been received by the SOE.
Fingerprinting Locations near UTC:
The UPS Store
2288 Gunbarrel Rd #154
Chattanooga, TN 37421
Walden Security | Chattanooga Regional Support Center
694 Manufacturers Road
Chattanooga, TN 37405
The UPS Store
114 Stuart Road NE
Cleveland, TN 37312
Students should keep their receipt with their transaction number in the event their report gets lost and we need to call TBI to have a new report sent.
If you have been fingerprinted at another location within the last 12 months, you can request that those results are sent to Doris Roensch at firstname.lastname@example.org. However, we must receive the official TBI document, not the scan of your fingerprints.
***NOTE: You will receive a confirmation email about your appointment, we do NOT need this information; just your receipt after you get fingerprinted.
Professional Liability Insurance
Professional Liability Insurance needs to be purchased prior to your first field placement in STEM 1030 and needs to be renewed every year.
***Note: Upon completion of fingerprint, please scan or take a picture of your reciept(s) and upload them to your Livetext account.
- Procedures for Students
- Fingerprint Release Form
- Professional Liability Insurance
To apply for Professional Student Liability Insurance:
Each insurance option has different expiration dates, please check before purchasing.
Join one of these organizations and you will automatically get the insurance, but in order for this requirement to be fulfilled, you must provide a copy of the receipt to Doris Roensch in 312 Hunter Hall. You may scan and email to email@example.com (subject line: Liability Insurance). You must include your UTC ID on the receipt.
TO CLARIFY: The School of Education only needs two items for these processes: your background receipt and your liability insurance receipt. Please keep a file for your own records so you know when you completed both. Currently, background checks are considered valid for four years, or until you begin residency. Liability insurance expiration dates vary depending on where you bought them. If you bought your insurance from the Bursar’s office, it ALWAYS expires on May 31st for that school year.