A timeline of major events, shifts, and happenings at SCEA
- Founding of visual art institute with a grant from Getty Center for Education in the Arts
- Founding of music and theatre institutes with a grant from Lyndhurst Foundation
- Creation of Lyndhurst Chair of Excellence in Arts Education
- Hiring of music, theatre, and visual art directors and support staff
- Collaboration with Hunter Museum of American Art to create poster reproductions
- Establishment of district consortium for planning with contacts from participating school districts
- Awarding of competitive grants to teachers and schools for innovative projects
- First three-week summer institutes in music, theatre, and visual art
- First follow-up site visits to participating schools
- First one-day fall and spring renewal workshops
- First two-day summer administrators institute
- First one-week summer renewal institutes in music, theatre, and visual art
- First SCEA video
- Development of a culminating DBAE course at UTC as part of a 12-hour sequence for elementary education majors
- Hiring of first executive director
- First artists training workshop for Allied Arts of Greater Chattanooga
- First Centerpoint newsletter
- First collaborative programming for summer one-week renewal institutes in music, theatre, and visual art
- Participating schools required to submit and update five-year long-range plans
- First music docent program for Chattanooga Symphony and Opera Association Guild and Cleveland Symphony Guild
- Consultation on building design and education program for Creative Discovery Museum
- New York City excursion for Chattanooga teachers
- Condensation of three-week summer institutes in music, theatre, and visual art to two weeks
- Founding of first satellite institute in Savannah
- Invitational strategic planning meetings for visual art and theatre
- Establishment of endowment fund with challenge grant from National Endowment for the Arts
- Invitational strategic planning meeting in music
- Invitational conference on discipline-based music education
- Theatre docent project with Chattanooga Theatre Centre and Arts & Education Council
- Cultural Olympiad Regional Designation Award
- First SCEA website
- Founding of second and third satellite institutes in Atlanta and Montgomery
- Writing of DBAE frameworks for dance, music, theatre, visual art, and multi-arts
- Invitational conference on discipline-based theatre education
- First summer multi-arts institute with participants rotating through music, theatre, and visual art sessions
- Invitational discipline-based arts education theory development symposium in Park City, Utah
- National Endowment for the Arts grant for poster reproductions of works from Hunter Museum of American Art, Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts, New Orleans Museum of Art, and Telfair Museum of Art
- Association with National Arts Education Consortium to conduct five-year Annenberg/ Getty Transforming Education Through the Art Challenge (TETAC) research project
- Hiring of second executive director
- Selection of six regional TETAC partner schools
- First TETAC leadership academy
- Founding of fourth satellite institute in New Orleans
- First catalog of instructional materials
- Children's Theatre Foundation of America Medallion award
- Development of first CD-ROM for Aires 12: Mission to Mars unit of study
- Development of Transcendent Voices: The Work of Artists in Isolation unit to prepare for Messiaen's Quartet for the End of Time at UTC Contemporary Music Symposium
- Think tank on theatre teacher education in collaboration with American Alliance for Theatre and Education
- Condensation of two-week summer music, theatre, and visual art institutes to one week and addition of first dance institute
- Distance learning theatre education course with University of Texas at Austin
- Second SCEA video
- Development of television series The Arts In Every Classroom for the Annenberg/CPB Channel
- Taping of television programs for A/CPB The Arts In Every Classroom series
- Move to new offices at 723 McCallie
- Launch of new expanded website
- Focus on arts integration
- Publication of Transforming Education Through the Arts Challenge Report
- Tennessee Governor's Award for Arts Leadership
- Three one-week summer workshops on Arts Integration in the Elementary and Middle Classroom
- Beginning of Arts Integration course for UTC education majors
- Development of A/CPB Connecting With the Arts television series and website
- Two one-week summer workshops on Arts Integration and Arts Exploration
- Year-long professional development onsite in Covington, TN for faculty of Covington Integrated Art Academy
- Development of A/CPB The Art of Teaching the Arts television series and website
- Arts Integration & Reading Workshop in Chattanooga; Macon, GA; and Albany, GA
- Arts Exploration Workshop in Chattanooga
- Year-long professional development and mentoring onsite in Macon, GA for faculties of Vineville Academy of the Arts, Miller Magnet Middle School, and Central High School
• Presentations at Tennessee Arts Commission's Arts Education Summit Conference
• One-week Arts Exploration & Integration Workshop
• On-site arts integration workshops at Stonebridge Academy in Fayetteville, TN and Grasslan
Middle School in Franklin, TN
• Hiring of first director of dance education
- Collaboration with United Way's Project Ready for School
- Consultant to Arts Education Partnership for Ford Foundation's Integrating the Arts and Education Reform Initiative
- American Orff Schulwerk Association Level I Certification course developed and taught at Lee University in Cleveland, TN
- SCEA's definition of arts integration included in Arts Integration Frameworks, Research and Practice A Literature Review
- SCEA profiled in Dana Foundation's book Transforming Arts Teaching: The Role of Higher Education
- Development of proposal for Trinidad & Tobago Centre for Arts Education and Integration
- Beginning of long-term professional development and mentoring onsite in Wilson, NC for faculty of
- Sallie B. Howard School for the Arts & Education
- Year-long professional development and mentoring onsite in Jefferson Parish, New Orleans for faculties of Clancy Elementary School and Lincoln Elementary School
- SCEA profiled in online Designing the Arts Learning Community: A Handbook for K-12 Professional Development Planners
- Launch of third website
- Arts & Education Forum: The Role of Professional Development in Facilitating the Practice of Arts Integratio
- Arts & Education Forum: Arts Integration and Teacher Change
- Hiring of fourth director of theatre education
- Strategic Planning and Communications Initiative
- Collaboration with Hunter Museum on Integrating the Arts in Physician Training Program for UTC College of Medicine
- Hiring of second director of dance education
- Arts & Education Forum: Arts @ the Core of 21st Century Learning
- Beginning of long-term professional development and mentoring onsite for faculty of Mt. Pleasant Middle School of the Visual & Performing Arts in Mt. Pleasant, TN
- Supporting the Whole Child with Music and Dance workshop at the Creative Discovery Museum
- Supporting the Whole Child with Music and Dance workshop at Hunter Museum of American Art
- Partnership with United Way on Project Diabetesto evolve awareness and prevention of childhood diabetes through music, movement, and literacy in twelve area preschool centers
- Arts & Education Forum: Aesthetic Learningscapes - Exploring Elegant Environments
- SCEA Director of Theatre Education is the winning nomination for the Lin Wright Professional Teaching Grant Award through the American Alliance for Theatre and Education
- Arts & Education Forum: Walking the Talk: Pathways to Quality Arts Integration
- Lead local host for Arts Education Partnership Fall Forum: Arts Learning Without Borders
- Development of Literacy, the Arts, and the Common Core, a professional development experience funded by the Tennessee Higher Education Commission that supported arts specialists and literacy teachers collaboratively developing and teaching arts-integrated units of study
- Recipient of a NEA Artworks Research Grant that funded data collection for case study research on characteristics of quality arts education in the south
- SCEA Director of Theatre Education is the winning nomination for the Lin Wright Professional Teaching Grant Award through the American Alliance for Theatre and Education. This is their 2nd win of this major award.
- SCEA facilitated a needs assessment for Syracuse Arts Academy, a K-9 charter school in Syracuse, Utah
- Kim Alan Wheetley retired and was appointed Professor Emerutis. Laurie Melnik, Director of Theatre Education, was named the Interim Executive Director
- Arts & Education Forum: Create, Perform, and Log-On
- Partnership with Barger Academy of Fine Arts on developing toolkit for CommunCREATE, an afterschool program where students and their families participated in arts learning experiences. The development of the toolkit was supported by the Community Foundation of Greater Chattanooga and published on the SCEA website
- SCEA partnered with HCDE to facilitate the Literacy, the Arts, and the Common Core professional development program
- SCEA in partnership with SouthArts published Quality Arts Education in the South Phase II: Profiles of Quailtiy
- Arts & Education Forum: Contexts of Quality: What is Quality Arts Education?
- The annual Arts & Education Forum moved to the Fall as part 1 of transitioning the event in becoming an annual two-part series on the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Campus. The Arts & Education Forum Series: What is the role of the arts in an interdisciplinary curriculum?
- The Chattanooga Chapter of the LINKS partners with SCEA to develop a debate program at Brainerd High School and the Howard School. Students competed in a debate tournament where winners received academic scholarships to UTC.
- Barger Academy co-facilitates quarterly CommuniCREATE sessions with SCEA directors
- Laurie Melnik is promoted to Executive Director of SCEA
- SCEA Director of Music Education retires
- SCEA actively participated in a fine arts alignment plan for UTC
- SCEA partners with Red Bank Elementary to increase access to quality arts learning experiences through project-based learning and STEAM-based units during focus Fridays
- SCEA intergrates UTC students in programming through offering field work opportunities to arts education students.
- SCEA facilitates a professional development workshop for Baton Rouge School of the Performing and Visual Arts
- SCEA Executive Director serves on the grades K-8 model cornerstone assessment team for the National Coalition of Core Arts Standards
- SCEA reinstates their advisory committee and establishes a student advisory group for the center.
- SCEA is invited to speak at both the Holmberg Arts Leadership Training Institute.
- SCEA Executive Director serves on grant review panels for the Tennessee Arts Commission
- Director of Visual Art Education oversees the Art Education Program in the Department of Art.
- Executive Director of SCEA oversees all theatre education students.
- SCEA creates a formal bridge between the arts departments and the School of Education to better serve UTC students seeking K-12 licensure in music, theatre, and visual art.
- SCEA Executive Director recognized as a nominee for the first UT System's President Award under the connect category during the annual state of the university address delivered by Presidency DiPietro.
- SCEA adopts the EdTPA student teaching portfolio for all arts education students.
- SCEA hires first arts education assistant positions in theatre and visual art providing new opportunities for UTC students pursuing careers in arts education.
- SCEA hires first Teaching and Learning through the Arts Program Coordinator.
- SCEA becomes an Arts 360 Provider for Sherwood Elementary in Memphis, TN.
- The Hunter Museum of American Art partners with SCEA to develop From STEEEP to STEEEPER: Investigating Visual Art Analysis and Drama-Based Praxis for the University of Tennessee College of Medicine at Chattanooga.
- SCEA Director of Visual Arts Education receives CRISP internal grant to support the development of local arts education needs assessment.
- SCEA Executive Director receives an Arts Activation and Innovation internal grant to support the development of a district-wide digital storytelling program.
- SCEA is invited to speak at both the Holmberg Arts Leadership Training Institute and the Holmberg Arts Training Institute for Teachers.
- SCEA Executive Director serves on the grades 9-12 model cornerstone assessment team for the National Coalition of Core Arts Standards.
- SCEA participates in the Tennessee Arts Commission's TN Policy Covening and presents on ESSA and the Arts, Additional sessions during the Collective Impact Conference included one on Family Engagement in the Arts and one focused on University Partnerships.
- SCEA presents professional development session during the first HCDE Innovate, Create, and Engage (ICE) Professional Development Institute.
- SCEA presents professional development about integrating theatre and dance during unstructured physical activity during Orchard Knob Middle's in-service day for teachers.
- Arts & Education Forum Series: What is the role of the arts in a well rounded education?
- Dr. Lee Harris, Professor from the UTC Music Division, works with SCEA as the Director of Music of Education
- SCEA Director of Visual Art Education facilitates a professional development session at East Asia and The World: Pase and Present sponsored by the Tennessee Geographic Alliance, The National Consortium for Teaching About Asia (NCTA), and UTC
- SCEA continues faciliating professional development programs for Sherwood Elementary as part of their Arts360 program
- SCEA facilitates the Spring 2017 Arts & Education Forum Series
- SCEA facilitates a digital story residency during the Orchard Knob Middle Soar Academy
- SCEA Program Coordinator establishes an early learning partnership with the Little Miss Mag Early Learning Center
- SCEA explores the process of becoming an Affliate Chapter of the Wolf Trap Institute for Early Learning in the Arts. The first site visit occurred Spring 2017 and the second will occur Fall 2017
- SCEA Executive Director was again recognized as a nominee for the UT System's President Award. This time under the educate category
- SCEA Director of Visual Art Education facilitates visual art sessions during Focus Fridays at Red Bank Elementary
- SCEA Executive Director serves on the Tennessee Arts Commission grant panel for At-Risk Youth
- SCEA Executive Director recognized as the 2017 Grantsperson of the Year by the UTC College of Arts and Sciences
- SCEA continues STEEEP to STEEEPER: Investigating Visual Art Analysis and Drama-Based Praxis for the University of Tennessee College of Medicine at Chattanooga in partnership with the Hunter Museum of American Art
- SCEA Visual Art Education Director designs 2nd grade visual art education lessons, trains teaching artists, and facilitates residencies at Rivermont Elementary for the Visual Art Residency Program facilitated by ArtsBuild
- SCEA launches their first Arts Learning Lab with support provided by the Tennessee Arts Commission
- SCEA starts a performing arts program at Orchard Knob Middle called Project HIVE during Summer 2017
- SCEA realigns with the College of Health, Education, and Professional Studies beginning July 1, 2017