MSW Application Process
Choose from two tracks:
MSW Program (60-hour program)
The MSW-UTC program is a professionally-oriented evening program designed to prepare individuals for working with individuals, families, and groups as they age across the life span. This program is available to students who have completed a bachelor’s degree in a non-social work field. The GRE is not required.
Advanced Standing (36-hour program)
The MSW-UTC Advanced Standing program is available to students who have completed
a BSW from a CSWE-accredited institution within the last seven years. After the successful
completion of two summer seminars, Advanced Standing students are admitted into the
advanced/specialized curriculum. The GRE is not required.
- 2.70 cumulative grade point average on all work attempted prior to completion of the baccalaureate degree (4.00 scale) or
3.00 GPA for the last two years of undergraduate coursework or
3.00 GPA for 30 or more semester hours of undergraduate credit earned after earning the first bachelor’s degree or
2.70 GPA for the last two years of undergraduate coursework and a 3.00 GPA on fewer than 24 hours of graduate coursework or
3.00 GPA for 24 or more graduate hours or
An earned master’s degree or higher-level degree with at least a 3.00 GPA.
In addition to the minimum requirements for graduate admission to the university, students must meet the following requirements specifically for the MSW-UTC program.
Applicants must submit two (2) professional recommendations.
**The GRE is not a requirement for this program.
Conditional admission will generally be extended because applicants are in the process of completing their final semester of undergraduate coursework and/or candidates do not meet the GPA requirement. Students admitted to conditional status are eligible for advancement into the next academic semester after earning a cumulative 3.00 GPA or better on a minimum of six hours of graduate level coursework taken during their first semester at UTC. Students not attaining the minimum 3.00 GPA during their first semester will be ineligible for continuation into the next semester and dismissed from the program.
Applications for the MSW-UTC Program for the 2018-2019 cohorts are now closed. Applications for the Advanced Standing – Summer 19 cohort and the MSW 60-hour program will open Dec. 1, 2018 . Priority consideration is typically given to Advanced Standing applications received by February 1st and MSW 60-hour program by March 1st. Review of applications will begin after the priority deadline. Upon review, students who may potentially be accepted into the program will be invited for a Zoom interview prior to the rendering of the final decision. Applications are typically accepted until the cohort is full. Students are admitted into the advanced standing program once each year and the program begins in May. Students are admitted in the 60-hour program once each year and the program begins in August.
The MSW-UTC program avoids having BSW graduates repeat content that has been mastered in their undergraduate programs by awarding advanced standing status to qualified individuals. Students seeking admission into Advanced Standing must meet the following additional requirements.
- Applicants must hold a BSW degree from a program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE), recognized through CSWE’s International Social Work Degree Recognition and Evaluation Service, or covered under a memorandum of understanding with international social work accreditors. Please note: A completed bachelor’s degree in social work, as evidenced by an official college/university transcript, is required prior to enrollment. Applicants may receive conditional acceptance into the MSW Program by submitting a transcript that demonstrates that they are enrolled in their final semester of undergraduate coursework. The conditional status is removed upon receipt of an official transcript demonstrating that the baccalaureate degree has been completed.
- Applicants for Advanced Standing must have completed the BSW within the last seven (7) years, with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale and a social work GPA of 3.25
- Applicants must submit a personal narrative and two professional recommendations.
- In addition to the two professional recommendations, applicants must submit an additional letter of reference from a BSW field education director or coordinator that documents successful completion of a 400-hour field internship from a program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education.
**The GRE is not a requirement for this program.
In the UTC School of Professional Studies, select degree programs require field components (observations, practicums, internship, etc.). In order to comply with TCA 49-5-5610, the following criminal history background check policy is implemented to secure the safety and well-being of all students, faculty, and clients.
Applying is a two-part electronic process:
|Part 1:||Apply to Graduate School||
First, Apply to the UTC Graduate School:
Scroll down to the "Graduate Students" box and select the term to which you want to apply.
|Part 2:||Summer 2019 Advanced Standing||
Now Accepting Applications for Summer 2019
Next, Apply to the MSW Degree Program:
Choose the button for the term to which you want to apply. This should match the selection you made in Part 1.
Use the login and password you created while completing Part 1 above.
|Fall 2019 MSW Program||