UTC Social Work Curriculum
Students are expected to refer to the UTC CATALOG for specific general education course and degree requirements. This program sheet does not take the place of academic advisement - all pre-social work and BSW social work majors must seek regular academic advisement each semester.
Suggested Program of Study for BSW Degree
|English 1010||3||English 1020||3|
|Behavioral Sciences (Recommended: SOCW 2050- Intro to Social Policy)||3||Literature||3|
|SOCW 1100- Intro to Social Work||3||Natural Sciences||3 or 4|
|Elective (Recommended: SOCW 2100- Matters of Ethnicity)||3||Elective||3|
|Historical Understanding||3||Thoughts, Values, & Beliefs||3|
|Natural Sciences||3 or 4||Visual & Performing Arts||3|
|Anthropology 1200||3||POLS 1010||3|
|Statistics||3||SOCW 2070- Interviewing Skills||3|
|SOCW 3060- SW Practice with Individuals & Families||3||SOCW 3070- SW Practice with Groups||3|
|SOCW 3080- Pre-Field Seminar I||2||SOCW 4080- Pre-Field Seminar II||3|
|SOCW 3120- HBSE I||3||SOCW 3420- HBSE II||3|
|SOCW 3330- Diversity & Cultural Competence||4||SOCW 3760- Intro to Research||3|
|SOCW Upper Division Elective||3||SOCW Upper Division Elective||3|
|SOCW 4070- SW Practice with Communities and Organizations||3||SOCW 4100- Policy & Practice||3|
|SOCW 4170- Applied Research||3||SOCW 4760- Data Analysis||3|
|SOCW 4120- Field I||5||SOCW 4420- Field II||5|
|SOCW 4130- Field Seminar I||1||SOCW 4410- Field Seminar II||1|
|SOCW Upper Division Elective||3||SOCW 4900- Leadership Seminar||3|
* You will need to accrue a minimum of 120 hours in order to meet the requirements for graduation at UTC. This will equate to about 30 hours each academic year.
* Pre-Social Work majors are required to take SOCW 1100-Intro to Social Work and SOCW 2070-Interviewing Skills (as a substitute for SOCW 2070, THSP 1090-Public Speaking can be taken). It is recommended that you also take SOCW 2050-Intro to Social Policy (counts as a Behavioral Sciences general education course) and SOCW 2100-Matters of Ethnicity.
* If you are considering a minor, you will need to use your electives or take extra credit hours to meet the requirements for the minor you have chosen.
* All pre-social work majors will need to apply for the BSW program in the Spring semester of their sophomore year. The application will be available online December 2016, and it will be due by February 15, 2017. **Late applications will only be considered if there are spots remaining in the program.
* Social Work majors who participate in the TN Child Welfare Stipend and Certification Program will be required to take SOCW 3230-Child Welfare I and SOCW 4230-Child Welfare II, which are required courses as part of the program's certification process.