Degree Requirements include 33 hours of core courses, 15 hours of criminal justice electives, and one legal oriented course taken from Legal Assistant Studies offerings.
Graduates of the Criminal Justice program will:
- Identify and apply the major theoretical perspectives in criminology and criminal justice and apply the social and policy implications of these approaches.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the components and functions of the criminal justice system (police, courts, and corrections).
- Apply knowledge of the operation of the criminal justice system to practical problems in the field and understand the role of ethical decision making in the process.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify, analyze, and interpret data on and related to crime.
- Illustrate how gender, race, ethnicity, age, social class, and sexual orientation function at both the macro and micro level in the criminal justice system.
- Students will experience a curriculum that requires them to think about issues of race, class, gender, sexual orientation and ethnicity.
- Rhetoric and Writing: (6 Hours)
- Fine Arts and Humanities: (12 Hours)
- Historical Understanding (3 Hours)
- Literature (3 Hours)
- Thought, Values, and Beliefs (3 Hours)
- Visual and Performing Arts (3 Hours)
- Natural Sciences: (7-8 Hours)
- Behavioral and Social Sciences: (6 Hours)
- Mathematics: (3 Hours)
- Non-Western Culture: (3 Hours)
27 hours of core courses including:
- CRMJ 1100 - Introduction to the Criminal Justice System
- CRMJ 2100 - Criminology
- CRMJ 3100 - Policing
- CRMJ 3110 - Criminal Justice Research Methodology
- CRMJ 3120 - Corrections
- CRMJ 3250 - Courts
- CRMJ 3310 - Race, Class, Gender and Crime
- CRMJ 4300 - Ethics in Criminal Justice
- CRMJ 4850 - Community Engagement Seminar
21 hours of the following:
- 15 - 18 hours of Criminal Justice electives with at least 9 hours at the 3000/4000 level and
- 3 - 6 hours selected from the following Legal Assistant Studies Courses
(No more than 6 hours of Criminal Justice 4780 and 4790 may be applied toward Criminal Justice electives.)
A minimum grade of C required in all core Criminal Justice courses, and a 2.0 GPA in all required major and related courses (including specified General Education courses).
Electives to complete 120 hours.
Minimum of 39 hours of 3000-4000 levels courses.
See Degree and Graduation Requirements for additional requirements.