Supreme Court Building

Undergraduate Advising

Andy Browne, our departmental advisor, will serve as the academic advisor from your third semester until you have completed 90 credit hours. You will then be assigned a faculty advisor when enter your senior year.  Your advisor is listed on your MyMocsDegree report.  If you do not have an advisor listed, or do not know who your advisor is, contact the main office (423) 425-4135.


Maintaining regular contact with your advisor is an important part of academic success.  Your advisor will help ensure that you are on track to graduate.  

FAQ--Frequently Asked Questions:

The academic advisor serves as the coordinator of your educational experience. In that role, the advisor can help you clarify your goals, explore career options, plan an educational program, and schedule classes needed to meet the requirements of your program. Also, the advisor monitors and evaluates your progress and attempts to match your needs with UTC's available resources. In order for your advisor to be of assistance to you, you must clearly and consistently convey your intentions and academic-related actions to your advisor. You should also be familiar with course descriptions and titles as well as the prerequisites for various classes. Your advisor is just that - an advisor. You are responsible for making informed choices and for registering for courses. A few days before registration is NOT the best time for this activity because so many students, especially new ones, are seeking time and assistance. To maximize the effectiveness of your advisor, plan ahead (which includes remembering to check -- and use -- the specific office hours that are established by your professor each semester).

Sign in to your MyMocs net on the UTC home page.  Once you are logged on, click on the Academics tab.  Then click on the link to MyMocsDegree link.  You will enter your student ID and click view. Requirements that are met show with a green check mark.   Courses and requirements that are in progress will display a curvy blue box (~).  The overall number of hours listed at the top does NOT include the hours that you are currently taking.  You also can use the clear path documents.  These program outlines demonstrate a typical degree program by semester.  If you follow that program, you will graduate at the end of four years.  


At the top of the MyMocs Degree you will see a FAQ and Help button. The help button will take you to a Power Point that gives you a comprehensive overview of how your MyMocsDegree works. 


You should be aware that occasionally, errors present themselves on your MyMocs.  If you think there is a problem, talk to your advisor who can check things out for you.


You must meet with your advisor and get your PIN number to register.  Registration is done completely online.  There is a lot of information and a PowerPoint presentation about the registration process online.  Follow the link and scroll to the bottom of the page to see the PowerPoint slides.  This presentation uses screen shots so you can see exactly what the screen will look like as you work on your registration.


Dropping a class does not require the signature of your advisor, but you may overlooking a degree requirement so be sure that this will not affect your degree plan and/or consult with your advisor before changing your schedule.

Courses are numbered from 1000 to the 4000 level. Course number on the 1000 level generally are geared towards freshmen students and are intended to provide an overview of the course material and to introduce the related vocabulary. Course levels numbered 2000 and 3000 are more specific in content, while 4000-level courses integrate the vocabulary and concepts and introduce the applications of information learned at the earlier levels. As course numbers ascend, professors assume that your knowledge and experience will allow you to handle increasingly self-directed courses of study therefore more autonomous study is usually required at the higher levels.

Most Criminal Justice majors should be in the 2011 or later catalog.  There were some major changes in the curriculum that make it advantageous for you to change.  Also one required course was deleted and is no longer offered.  If you need to change your catalog year go to the Records online site.  (If you are in an older catalog and have taken CRMJ 4100, talk to your advisor about whether you should stay in that catalog or change catalog years.)

Criminal Justice students must take the two introductory courses to begin the major:  CRMJ 1100: Introduction to the Criminal Justice System and CRMJ 1000:  Introduction to Criminology.  Students also may wish to take their law component course relatively early in the major; although, this decision will be affected by the level of the course they take to fulfill this requirement.  For example, students may take LAS 1700:  Introduction to Criminal Law as a freshman.  Students who are more interested in LAS 4010:  Constitutional Law may wish to delay taking this course until later in their academic program.   Students also should take SOC 1510:  Introduction to Sociology and PSY 1010: Introduction to Psychology.  Both of these courses are general education social science requirements that also are required for the major and will help you in your criminal justice classes.


Consult the appropriate University Catalog and the pages that describe the major.   These links will take you to the 2013-14 catalog for criminal justice.  If you need to find this information in another catalog year, open that catalog and click on the College of Arts and Sciences link on the left side.  That will bring up a list and you can look at the major pages for that year.  Criminal Justice information  to see a showcase or suggested plan of study for both majors.

Yes. Individuals who have not earned a baccalaureate degree may be eligible to receive credit for work experience, in-service training and certified professional programs.  There are restrictions on how these credits can be used toward your degree requirements so be sure to talk to your advisor about this process. 

Neither Criminal Justice majors have to have a minor.  It may be advantageous, however, to do so.  Criminal Justice majors might want to minor in Legal Assistant Studies.  Other popular minors that work well with our majors are:  English, Communication, Spanish, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology, Women's Studies and Africana Studies

The curriculum allows flexibility for students to explore and develop their interests. Even if students don't want to minor in the areas above, they might want to take some elective classes in these departments.  Special courses in forensics also are available through Chemistry and Anthropology.

Students must earn a grade of "C" or better in all required (core) Criminal Justice courses and average a 2.0 or better in all coursework applied toward the major.  If you get a D in a required course you must take the course over and get at least a C.  If you get a D in a criminal justice elective, you do NOT have to take the course over as long as you have a 2.0 combined GPA in your criminal justice electives. 

Information about calculating your GPA is available on the Records webpage.

You may repeat a course and replace the grade. UTC allows a student a total of three grade replacements for grades of "C" and lower.  See this link for more information

Internships are a rewarding way for students to get experience in the field.  Criminal Justice majors do not have to take an internship, but they are  are highly recommended. The internship is an elective course(s). It is available for 3 or 6 credit hours. Before making a decision about this option you must consult with the internship coordinator, Dr. Hensley. Criminal Justice Internships are  graded S/NC (pass/fail).  

Criminal justice courses are offered both in the day and at night.  In general, it may be difficult to get core required courses completed if you cannot take some daytime coursework due to staffing shortages.  The menu of classes to choose from will necessarily be smaller during evening hours but you can complete the major if you are able to take some required courses during the daytime.  If you have exceptional circumstances that will not allow you to take required courses during the day, contact Dr. Eigenberg.  You may be eligible to take these online.

The answer to this question is usually yes -- if the educational institution is accredited and if a passing grade was received. Some courses may count as elective credit though rather than direct equivalencies toward your major.

Admissions does their best to determine course equivalencies; however, what is available for review is often quite limited. If you think you have taken a course that is the same as a UTC course, consult with your advisor.

The student is responsible for applying for a degree with the The Records Office.  Graduation application dates are listed on their webpage.  


There also are mandatory testing dates that are part of your graduation requirements.  Some students are required to take the Criminal Justice Senior Exam and all students are required to take the UTC Senior Exam. Evaluative information obtained through testing is used to improve the educational experience for future students and allows us to assess the quality of our program.   You will receive information about testing once you have applied for graduation.