Filing a Report: Student Procedures

If you make a report of prohibited conduct to the University, Survivor Advocacy Services or the Title IX Coordinator will work with you to evaluate your care and support needs and to discuss your options under University policy. Reporting prohibited conduct to the University empowers you to obtain the care and support you need and enables the University to respond appropriately, including conducting a prompt, thorough, and equitable investigation and, if warranted, taking disciplinary action against the respondent.

The University recognizes that your decision on how to proceed after reporting an incident is a process that may unfold over time; thus, at the time a report is made to the University, you do not have to decide whether to request or choose any particular course of action. Regardless of which course of action you choose, the University will provide you with care and support even if the University's ability to investigate the incident and pursue disciplinary or other remedial action is limited.

Title IX Process

Title IX Coordinator receives report
from complainant, mandatory reporter, housing staff, police, etc.



Title IX Coordinator, Survivor Advocacy Services, or Student Outreach and Support reaches out to complainant to offer support and options.


arrow down



                                                      arrow down                              arrow down                             arrow down

Request for limited action
(Support and interim measures)
Report to the Office of Student Conduct
(University process)
Report to law enforcement
(Criminal process)


University Support and Interim Measures

After you report the incident to the University, the University can support you in a variety of ways, including:

  • Informing you of your rights under the University’s Policy on Sexual Misconduct, Relationship Violence and Stalking; 
  • Issuing a no-contact directive to the respondent, which prohibits the respondent from having verbal, physical, or written contact with you for a definite or indefinite period of time; 
  • Providing medical and counseling services; 
  • Assisting you with reporting an incident to law enforcement, if you want to report the incident; 
  • Exploring changes in living and working arrangements; 
  • Arranging appointments with follow-up services on or off campus; 
  • Exploring changes in class schedules; 
  • Assisting you with communicating with faculty; 
  • Providing academic support, including tutoring; and 
  • Exploring the options of retaking a course, dropping a course, or withdrawing for a semester without penalty.

It is important for complainants to know that the support mentioned above is available even if you do not participate in a University investigation or report the incident to law enforcement. Available support includes help with referrals to legal and confidential advocacy organizations, and assistance with working, visa and immigration, transportation, financial aid matters and more.


The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga and Title IX prohibit retaliation against anyone who reports sexual misconduct, relationship violence and/or stalking. The University will take reasonable steps to prevent retaliation and will take strong responsive action if retaliation occurs.


If you were using alcohol and/or drugs at the time of the incident, the University does not want that to keep you from reporting. The University will not pursue disciplinary charges against you for personal consumption of alcohol or other drugs.