M.Ed. School Leadership: Teacher Leadership
This concentration is designed to meet the growing needs for teacher leadership and a broad base of instructional leadership in PreK-12 schools. It is designed for teachers who want to remain in the classroom and exercise leadership through school-wide collaboration, mentoring new teachers, departmental or grade-level leadership, leading professional development, and the improvement of curriculum and instructional strategies. Nine credits of electives and choice of a literacy course allow the student to focus on areas of special interest as a teacher leader. It does not lead to a special TN endorsement.
- A teaching certificate and three successful years teaching experience are NOT required for admission but employment as a teacher is highly recommended.
- The program can be completed in as few as 5 semesters and requires 33 graduate credits.
- Students progress through the program as a cohort, with new cohorts beginning every August. Admission will be considered for spring and summer terms, however, core courses are only offered once a year.
- Some courses are the same as those required by the Principal Licensure concentration. Thus a student who earns an M. Ed./Teacher Leadership and later decides to pursue an endorsement as a principal/supervisor may have already completed some of the required courses for licensure.
- Most courses are delivered in a ‘hybrid’ format, meaning some face to face and some on-line instruction.
- A field experience component of approximately 200 hours is required and is completed
throughout the program as part of individual course requirements.
Required courses are as follows:
EDAS 5010: Methods of Educational Research
EDUC 5610, 5620, or 5630: Literacy Course
EDAS 5630: School Law
EDAS 5710: Leadership for School Improvement
EDAS 5730: School Culture and Climate
EDAS 5740: Curriculum Leadership
EDAS 5750: Instructional Leadership/Assessment
EDAS 5900: Capstone
Electives as approved by advisor
The State exam (SLLA) is not required as a condition of graduation.)
To request more information about our School Leadership programs, please fill out this inquiry form.