HOPE Scholarship Eligibility
The HOPE Scholarship, also known as the Lottery Scholarship, is funded by the Tennessee Education Lottery Scholarship Program. To receive HOPE funding, students must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year. The deadline for fall semester HOPE awards is September 1 of each academic year. UTC encourages ALL students to submit the FAFSA each October 1st when it opens for the next academic year.
Students must meet the following requirements:
- Have been a TN resident for one year by September 1 of the application date. For students beginning spring and summer terms, residency determined by February 1 as of application date,
- Graduate from a TN eligible high school. Exceptions may be granted - Please refer to the TN Student Assistance Corporation's web page for the HOPE Scholarship for detailed information.
- Must enroll in an eligible TN public college, university, or private college (or an out-of-state regionally accredited college, university, private college) within 16 months following high school graduation. However, enrollment at an ineligible TN institution (or non-regionally accredited out-of-state institution) any time after high school graduation will make the student permanently ineligible.
- Entering freshmen must have...
- a minimum of a 21 ACT composite (1070 SAT), exclusive of the essay and optional subject area battery tests OR
- an overall weighted minimum 3.0 grade point average (GPA) – This means a grade point average on a 4.0 scale calculated with additional internal quality points awarded for advanced placement, honors, or other similar courses according to the Uniform Grading Policy adopted by the State Board of Education.
- Home School graduates – be enrolled as a home school student in a home school program for a minimum of one (1) year prior to graduation AND score a minimum 21 ACT composite (1070 SAT), exclusive of the essay and optional subject area battery tests
- GED Applicants – minimum 21 ACT composite (1070 SAT), exclusive of the essay and optional subject area battery tests and qualifying GED ® score. Minimum GED ® score will be determined by the Tennessee General Assembly during the 2015 legislative session
- If a student ceases to be eligible for HOPE, except for the General Assembly Merit Scholarship (GAMS), the student may regain HOPE one-time only.
- ACT/SAT exams must be taken prior to the first day of college enrollment. Residual test scores are not accepted.
*Important note about Knox County, Williamson County, and Memphis City Schools: Please be aware that if you have graduated from one of these high schools, your cumulative final high school GPA could be different than your TN Lottery Scholarship GPA. For HOPE purposes, your eligibility depends upon the TN Lottery Scholarship GPA listed on your final transcript.
Transfer students are largely self-identifying. First, you should make certain your final transcripts (college AND high school) get to UTC. Then, you should confirm that your school of choice for the HOPE Scholarship is UTC by following this quick tutorial. Finally, you should identify yourself with the UTC Financial Aid & Scholarships Office as a Transfer Student AND HOPE Scholarship recipient.
Visit the official Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation's website for information on HOPE scholarship programs, application procedures, deadlines and award amounts.