Thank You Letters let our Donors know You Care!
All students who receive funds from a Foundation (donor-funded) scholarship will be required to write a thank you letter to the donor(s) of the scholarship.
Why are thank you letters required?
Most of the scholarships available at The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga are made possible by generous contributions from donors who believe in the importance of a college education and want to invest in the future of UTC students. By writing a thank you letter, you demonstrate that you are the kind of student they can be proud to support. Hearing from scholarship recipients is also very meaningful to donors. It allows them to obtain a glimpse of how the gift has made a difference in the life of a student. Your words remind donors of the impact of their scholarship gift. Many of them continue to give additional scholarship funds because they know their gifts are deeply appreciated and that they are helping deserving students realize their potential.
What are some tips or suggestions for writing a thank you letter?
- Thank the donor for his or her generosity in providing this scholarship. Tell the donor how this scholarship has made a difference in your education.
- Tell the donor a little about yourself. Where are you from? What's your family background? What high school did you attend and what activities were you involved in there? What activities are you involved in or plan to be involved in at UTC? Why did you choose to attend UTC? What are you majoring in and why?
- Tell the donor about your goals and future plans after completing your education at UTC. What do you hope to do after graduation? What is your long-term career ambition(s)?
- If you are receiving a renewable scholarship and have sent a thank you letter to the donor during a previous year, give the donor an update as to what has changed in your life since you wrote last.
- Pay careful attention to the grammar, spelling, and organization of your letter. A well-written letter
reflects favorably on you, the scholarship committee who selected you, and on The
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga as a whole.
What are the requirements for writing a thank you letter?
- We suggest your letter may be typed. If you choose to hand write it, be sure to write legibly and use nice stationary.
- Sign your letter.
- All we need from you is the letter itself.
- To receive your scholarship funds, you must submit your thank you letter(s) by the date indicated on your Scholarship Notification.
Thank you letters can be emailed to us at email@example.com, dropped off with the Mocs One Center, 124 University Center, or mailed to us using the address below. If you have any questions about your thank you letter, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.