Acts of Violence
If an active shooter is reported or encountered:
- If you are outside a building near the threat, go to nearest cover immediately.
- If you are inside the building and you are confident you know the shooter’s location and have a clear path to an exit, evacuate immediately and take others with you if possible.
- If you are unsure that you can safely exit the building, secure the area by following these tips:
- lock and barricade doors
- stay away from doors or windows
- turn off lights
- block windows
- turn off radios and computer monitors
- keep yourself out of sight (take cover/protection from bullets by using concrete walls or filing cabinets), and
- silence your cell phone.
- What to report to 911:
- your specific location.
- number of people at your location
- number of injured and types of injuries
- assailant(s) – location, number of suspects, race/gender, clothing description, physical features, types of weapons, backpack, shooter’s identity (if known), separate explosions from gunfire, etc.
- As a last resort, and only if your life is in danger :
- Attempt to incapacitate the shooter
- Act with physical aggression
- Improvise weapons
- Commit to your actions
Be prepared for Police response
- Follow all instructions given by police officers
- Understand their first actions will be to address the threat
- Make sure empty hands are in plain view
- Attempt to contact your immediate family and other emergency contacts
- Provide information to university officials for rosters upon request