The Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT) has announced the 2019 Mini Call for Research Proposals. TDOT is looking for nontraditional transportation research projects that align with 11 focus areas ranging from technologies to assist in disaster relief efforts to addressing the opiod crisis in TN. The proposal is due Monday, April 29 at 9 am. Due to the timeline and anticipated volume of proposals the Office of Research & Sponsored Programs (ORSP) has outlined key deadlines to better support faculty pursuing this grant opportunity. Please refer to the Proposal Timeline & Due Dates section for key deadlines and Guidelines & Resources section for proposal information and templates.
Please note ORSP will not review and submit proposals that are not fully approved by 3:00 pm on April 26.
|Day||Time||Task to Be Completed|
|Friday, April 5||5:00 pm||Email Meredith Perry (email@example.com) if you are interested in applying.|
|Monday, April 22||12:00 pm||Enter your project in Cayuse and route for internal approvals.|
|Wednesday, April 24||5:00 pm||Send final versions of all application components to your ORSP Grant Specialist for review and submission.|
|Friday, April 26||3:00 pm||Proposal must be fully approved by this date/time for ORSP to review and submit.|
|Monday, April 29||9:00 am, CST||Proposal must be submitted to TDOT.|
TDOT is looking to research various topics, with varying budget amounts, during this call, with a desire to sponsor innovative research. The 11 focus areas and their project descriptions are linked below.
- HOV Lanes
- Sustainable Tourism Transport
- Rapid Emergency Evacuation
- Drones and Other Technology
- Evaluating Transit Equity
- Framework for Quantitative Assessment
- Connecting Demand Response Transit
- Reducing Pedestrian Accidents and Fatalities
- Systemwide Traffic Signal Performance
- Opioid Crisis in TN
- Understanding Freight Impacts
The following materials are required to complete a research proposal submission:
- Research Proposal Manuscript - Please use the TDOT Research Proposal Template and submit in MS Word Document format (.docx). The maximum number of pages for the Research Proposal manuscript is 10 pages. The cover page, grant budget documents, project schedules, and CVs do NOT count toward the 10-page limit.
- Grant Budget Documents - Please use the TDOT Budget Template. The budget should include detailed, itemized budget estimation and budget justification.
- Project Schedule - The project schedule should include milestones and/or deliverables.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) - Please provide CV's for Principal Investigator(s) and lead project staff. The maximum page limit is 2 pages per CV.
To help you as you develop your proposal, TDOT has provided their TDOT CFP Evaluation Scoring Sheet. During the selection process, they will utilize this scoring sheet as they consider and rate each research proposal submitted. Please use this scoring sheet as a guideline when writing your proposal to ensure that you meet the criteria they are looking for in the proposal. Please note the evaluation process will take 6-8 weeks.