UTC Registration Frequently Asked Questions

students sit in auditorium style classroom

You can locate your registration date and time (or time-ticket) by accessing your “Registration Status” link on your MyMocsNet account

Login to your MyMocsNet account, click on the “Academics” tab at the top of the page, then click on “Registration Status” link under the “Registration and Student Records” heading.

Priority Registration allows currently enrolled students to register for classes for subsequent semesters before newly admitted students register. 

Students receive time-tickets for priority registration based upon earned hours—the more earned hours a student has the earlier their time-ticket. 

In-progress hours for the current term are not included in earned hours. Earned hours are successfully completed hours. 

  • 90+ hours is a senior
  • 60-89 hours is a junior
  • 30-59 hours is a sophomore
  • 0-29 hours is a freshman

Newly admitted students and currently enrolled students can register during open registration.

Newly admitted students register based upon their assigned time-ticket.

Time-tickets indicate the date and time students are eligible to begin registering.  Students can register any time after initial time-ticket appointment through the last day to register for the semester but not before their time-ticket indicates.  Refer to the academic calendar on the Office of the University Registrar website calendar for important semester dates.

Students scheduled to graduate in the current term do not receive a time-ticket.  Graduating students must reapply to either the Admission Office as a post-baccalaureate or Graduate School to receive a time-ticket.

Readmitted students will be assigned a Readmit time-ticket. New freshmen and transfer students time-tickets are assigned based on their registration for an Orientation session.

All students are required to be advised before they are allowed to register for classes. 

If you are unsure of who your advisor is, check your MyMocsNet account. If no advisor is listed, contact your major department. If you are a freshmen or an undecided major, contact the UTC Center for Academic Support and Advisement in room 335 of the Library. 

Once you meet with your advisor, the "Advising Required" hold will be released and you'll be able to make registration changes at that time.

There are a number of errors that you could receive while trying to register for courses. Below is a list of possibilities. See "What about Overrides?" to find information about overrides for these errors.

  • Register with Signed Contract: This is a course that requires a signed contract for registration. These contracts must be submitted to the Mocs One Center for the students to be registered. (Note: there is no departmental override for this error)
  • Course is only open to students who have declared a specific program of study (i.e. degree, major, minor): This course is restricted for specific programs of study or minors. Read the course description to see which programs or minors are allowed to take the course.
  • This section conflicts with CRN 12345. Please select another section or consult with your advisor: This indicates that you are trying to add a course with meeting times that conflict with a course already in your registration.
  • This section is closed: This section is either at capacity or is a "0 capacity" course.  Registration for 0 capacity courses is managed by the academic department. Students may join a waitlist if it is available.
  • This section requires a corequisite such as a lecture or lab.  Please consult the schedule or catalog for more information: This course requires students take a course or courses in the same semester. Please read the course description to find out what course or courses that may be.
  • You are already registered for this course.  Please select another course.  You may only register for this course once in a semester.
  • You do not have sufficient hours to take this course: This course is open to students in certain class levels such as juniors or seniors.  Read the course description to see who is eligible to take the course.
  • You do not meet the prerequisite for this course. Please consult the schedule or catalog and select another course: This course requires students to have completed a course/courses or satisfy a minimum test score for placement. Read the course description to find out the course's specific requirements.
  • You have already earned credit (the maximum number of credit hours) for this course. Select another course or consult with your advisor:  This course is one you have already completed with a grade of A, B, C, or S and you will not earn additional credit by completing the course again.

Overrides are provided by the department in which the class in question is offered.  You will need to approach the department head, or whomever he or she has authorized to handle overrides, and ask for the override appropriate to your situation. Click here for a list of department heads and their contact information.

  • Classification Override: allows freshmen or sophomores to take 3000 or 4000 level courses or courses that require a certain number of earned hours.
  • Closed Class Override: allows a student to register for a closed class (class has met maximum enrollment) or a class with a zero limit.
  • Co-requisite Override: allows a student to register for a course without the required companion/corequisite course.
  • Prerequisite Override:  allows a student to take a course without meeting the prerequisite(s).
  • Program Override:  allows a student to register for a course that is limited to programs of study.
  • Repeat Override: allows a student to repeat a course previously passed with a grade of A, B, C or S
  • Time Conflict Override: allows a student to register for a course with meeting times less than ten minutes before or after a course already in the student's registration.
  • Regular Audit: Register for the course online for credit. Once you are registered in the course, contact the Office of the University Registrar at registrar@utc.edu to request that the course be changed to audit credit.
  • Senior Citizen Audit: Register for the course(s) online for credit OR come into the office for registration assistance. If you register yourself for the course you may email the Office of the University Registrar at registrar@utc.edu to request that the course be changed to audit credit. You should also contact the Bursar’s Office (423-425-4781) to let them know you are a Senior Citizen Auditor so that fees can be appropriately adjusted.

   Audit courses do not count towards Financial Aid hours.

You can drop a class until the Last Date to Officially Drop date as posted on the academic calendar

If you drop a class during the registration period at the beginning of the semester, the course will not appear on your transcript and you will not receive a “W” (withdrawal). If you drop a course after the registration period at the beginning of the semester, your transcript will reflect a “W”. Refunds for a class are based upon the refund schedule posted on the Bursar's Website.

Monetary (you owe the University money), High School Transcripts, and Immunization Records are examples of holds that will prevent you from being able to register for class. The "Advising Required" hold will also prevent registration. 

You can check to see if you have any holds by logging into your MyMocsNet account, clicking on the “Academics” tab at the top of the page and then clicking the “Holds” link under the “Registration and Student Records” heading. Any holds will appear on this page.  You will need to address any holds you find with the department in which the hold originated. 

All payments are made through the Bursar's Office.  Refer to the Bursar’s website for Payment Information.

Refer to the Financial Aid tab in your MyMocsNet account or the Financial Aid website. Students can visit the Mocs One Center for personal assistance.

The fee deadline is the date that all payment for fees must be made for the upcoming semester.  If fees are not paid by the deadline classes will be dropped for non-payment and you will need to re-register once registration reopens.

Confirm classes by paying your fees or tuition for the upcoming semester by the fee deadline.  If you are receiving Financial Aid you will want to check your MyMocsNet account to be sure that the aid has been applied prior to the fee deadline and that you have sufficient funds to cover the cost of tuition and fees.  If Financial Aid has not been applied contact the Financial Aid Office at 423-425-4677.

If your classes were cancelled due to non-payment, you will need to re-register for classes.  There is no guarantee that you will be able to re-register for the same classes that you were initially registered for.  You will have to choose from classes that are “open,” or not full, at the time you re-register.  If the classes are “closed,” or full, then you can check with the appropriate department about the possibility of a closed class override.

Your advisor will be able to help you choose the courses you need to take.