Online Petition Forms
Below are two types of petitions students may use to seek exception to established
policies. These petitions are routed through an online workflow for review by the
necessary individuals and committees. Instructions for managing Co-signers is at the
bottom of this page.
These petitions are reviewed by the Faculty Petitions Committee. There are four different categories that may be petitioned which include:
- Excess Hours (students who wish to enroll in more than 20 hours in a single semester)
- Exception to the Last 24 Hour Residency Requirement
- Waiver of Course
- Exception to 60/64 Hour Residency Requirement
Each category of petition requires specific types of documentation. Documents must be uploaded to the online petition so that everyone in the review process has sufficient information to make a decision.
Undergraduate Petition Workflow:
- Student starts the petition and provides a statement along with the required documentation. The student will then route the petition to their academic advisor.
- Academic advisor will review the petition and approve or disapprove the request. The advisor routes the form to the student's program department head.
- Department Head approves or diapproves the petition.
- Petition is routed to the Faculty Petitions Committee for review.
- Once the committee renders a decision, the student will be emailed.
- If the petition is approved it will be applied in the student's MyMocsDegree soon after the committee meets.
These petitions provides students the opportunity to receive credit towards a specific General Education requirement for courses taken at other institutions. Some transfer courses appear to meet UTC's General Education standards, but do not have an exact equivalent among UTC's General Education courses.
Each petition must include:
- current MyMocsDegree Evaluation;
- course description for each course (from the appropriate college catalog); and
- course syllabus for each course (from student records or course instructor)
Petition for General Education Workflow:
- Student starts the petition and uploads course information and documentation. The petition will be routed to the student's academic advisor.
- Academic advisor will review the petition and documentation then route to the relevant general education department head and the student's program department head.
- Relevant General Education department head approves, disapproves, or refers to the General Education Committee.
- Program department head approves, disapproves, or refers to the General Education Committee.
- If both department heads approve, the petition is routed to the Office of the University
Registrar for processing.
- Student will be notified when the petition is applied in MyMocsDegree.
- If either department head disapproves or refers to the committee, the petition will
be routed to the General Education Committee for review.
- The student will be notified once the committee has rendered a decision. If approved, the petition will be applied in MyMocsDegree.
If a student or academic advisor makes an error entering the next participant's email the error can be corrected and a new email sent.
- First login using the "Check My Forms" link
- Click "Pending/Draft Forms"
- The appropriate petition will display. Find the correct contract and click "Manage Co-Signers" under the Action column.
- To edit the email, click the small pencil. Once saved, click "Re-send Email" to send the form to the correct email address.