Post 9/11 GI Bill


Effective 2 November 2009, federal funds educational assistance programs excluding Title IV Financial Aid will be deducted from the amount of tuition and fees reported to VA.


The Post 9/11 GI Bill is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days.  You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill.  The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs will determine your eligibility and percentage.  The Post 9/11 GI Bill will pay eligible individuals:


  • Tuition and fees directly to the school not to exceed the maximum in-state undergraduate tuition and fees at a public Institution of Higher Learning (IHL). 

  • Monthly housing allowance (MHA) based on the Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH)  Click here to determine the MHA for your school's zip code (UTC’s zip code is 37403).

  • An annual book and supplies stipend up to $1000 paid proportionately based on enrollment


The Post 9/11 GI Bill website offers a step-by-step by guide on what to consider and how to apply.  An estimator to help eligible individuals determine how much money they are eligible for is also included.


The transferability option under the Post-9/11 GI Bill allows Service-members to transfer unused benefits to their spouses or dependent children. More information on how to transfer your GI Bill benefit can be found at Post 9/11 GI Bill transfer of education benefits (TEB).