--Nonprofit management --Strategic planning
--Leadership development --American social history
- POLS 5370: Resource Development in Nonprofit Organizations
- POLS 5340: Executive Process in Public and Nonprofit Agencies
Community Engagement (selected)
- Board Experience:
- Chair, Girls Inc. of Chattanooga , 2010 – present
- Chattanooga Women’s Leadership Council, program chair 2010 – 2011.
- Partnership for Families, Children, and Adults (2004 – 2012; president, 2007-2009)
- The Rotary Club of Chattanooga
- Board of directors, 2009-2011
- District Peace Scholarship Committee, chair 2010 – 2013.
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, member of accreditation teams
Publications and Presentations (Representative)
- “Engaged with Carnegie: Effects of Carnegie Classification Recognition on CUMU Universities,” co-authored with Susan Ritz. Journal of Metropolitan Universities, Vol. 24, No. 1 (May 2013), 35 – 46.
- “Stability and Change: The Presence and Absence of Women in Tennessee’s Corporate Board Rooms,” co-authored with Stephanie Bellar and Marilyn Helms. Business Perspectives, Vol. 21, No. 1 (2012), 50–57.
- “The Ultimate Glass Ceiling Revisited: The Presence of Women on Corporate Boards,” Co-Authored with Stephanie Bellar and Marilyn Helms. Journal of Business Ethics, Vol. 50 (Spring 2004), 177-186.
Grant Proposals (External)
- International Exchange of Scholars, J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board, and the Bureau of Education and Cultural Affairs of the Department of State. Approved.
- “Germany Today: Innovations in German and European Graduate Education.” June 17-24, 2006. Deutscher Akademischer Austausch Dienst. Fully funded.
- “Community Development Work Study Fellowships.” Co-written with Stephanie Bellar and David Edwards, submitted to the U.S. Dept. of Housing and Urban Development. Funded at $90,000. (2005-2007)
- “Paying It Forward: The Role of Unit Leadership in Mentoring Staff,” co-presented with Yvonne Kilpatrick, at NAGAP’s 25th Annual Conference, April 25 - 28, 2012, in Austin, TX. (NAGAP is The National Association of Graduate Admissions Professionals.)
- “Teachers, Teach Thyselves,” co-presented with Karen Adsit, Stephanie Bellar, David Edwards, Christopher Horne, and Marcus Mauldin. Presented at the annual meeting of the Tennessee Political Science Association. Nashville, TN (April 2010).
- Chattanooga Women of Distinction Award. (2011)
- President, the Tennessee Conference of Graduate Schools, 2001-2002.
- President, the Conference of Southern Graduate Schools, 2006-2007.