Admission to BSN Program
Students have an opportunity to apply for an open position in the upper-division nursing courses once they have completed the nursing pre-requisite coursework.
Students desiring admission to the nursing major must complete the BSN Application online. Candidates for the nursing major must make formal application by April 1 to begin the nursing program in the fall and October 1 in the spring.
The following are considered when evaluating candidates for admission:
- Completion of credit hours required for sophomore classification including the following
prerequisite courses with no grade lower than a C:
- Chemistry 1110
- Biology 2060, 2080, 2100
- English 1010, 1020
- Psychology 1010
- Nursing 2260
(Only two of the pre-requisite courses listed above may be in progress at the time of application)
- A minimum grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 point scale at UTC
- A minimum Science GPA of 2.50. The nursing major includes a strong biophysical science
component; thus the first grade earned in a required science course will be used to
compute the student’s science GPA.
- Interview a BSN or higher Registered Nurse and answer the reflective essay question.
- Physical and emotional characteristics appropriate for nursing practice as stated in the Core Performance Standards in the School of Nursing.
Acceptance of transfer and substitute credits in nursing to meet requirements of the curriculum will be determined by the school. A student who transfers into the nursing program at UTC will be required to repeat any nursing or other required courses which are not considered comparable to the UTC curriculum or in which the grade earned is lower than a C. Transfer students must meet the same standards as other students in the program.
Candidates will receive written notification of their admission status by email. Candidates who are accepted for admission must complete a background check and drug screening before being fully admitted. Individuals who are not accepted for a given class, and who desire to be considered for the next class must reapply.
Admission to the Nursing major is limited. Admission to the University does not guarantee acceptance to the nursing major. The faculty in the School of Nursing reserve the right to make exceptions to the admission requirements.
Email April Anderson or phone 423-425-4670