Music Minor logo

You love music, you really would like to continue studying, but you have decided to go another career path? Have we got a minor for you! We've put together on this page everything you might need to know to be a music minor. Read on!

Silhouette of Herb Alpert

Which way to go?

The Music Dept. offers three minors in Music depending on your interests:

  • Music Composition - intended for people who wish to write music

  • Music History- intended for people who are interested in the history and development of music
  • Music Performance - intended for people who would like to pursue musical performance or further their study of an instrument or voice

Your choice of minor will influence what classes you would choose from the Music Department.

What classes will I take?

Cartoon of Music Class

Please see the UTC Course Catalogs on the Records Department site for more details:

  • Music Composition - 29 hours
  • Music History - 25 hours
  • Music Performance - 22 hours

Are there any qualifications I need to do a music minor?

Yes, there are. You must be able to pass the Music Theory Diagnostic Test, or complete MUS 1060 before you will be allowed to schedule MUS 1070.ALSOif you plan on taking private lessons in voice, piano or any other instrument, you will need to performan audition.HOWEVER - if you are choosing the Music History or Composition minor, it is possible to use class piano as your applied instrument. This class does not require an audition.

So what is this Theory Diagnostic Test?

All entering Music majors and minors must pass a Theory Diagnostic Test. This is a test of basic musical knowledge. It covers these items:Theory book

  • Identification of things found on a piece of music (i.e., staff, clef, note, rest, measure, barlines, repeat bars, meter signatures, etc.)
  • Name notes written in treble AND bass clef
  • Identify key signature
  • Identify a scale by sight and sound
  • Identify major versus minor by sight and sound
  • Identify the distance between two notes by sight and sound
  • Identify rhythm notation
  • Read rhythm notation
  • Label basic triads (chords)
  • Define some basic terminology
If you have been involved in choir, band, or orchestra in your high school for the last three or four years or if you've had at least a couple of years of piano lessons, you probably will have no trouble with this exam. If you would like a review for this exam, we recommend you visit

What is applied music?

Violin LessonApplied Music is just a fancy word for music lessons on a particular instrument or voice. It is where you "apply" what you learn about music to the actual making of music. Depending on your ability which you will display either in the studio of a private teacher or at one of the pre-semester audition dates or at a semester end jury, you will be assigned to study at the 1000, 2000, 3000, or 4000 level. The higher the level, the more that will be required of you in terms of ability and amount of effort expended.

So, how do I begin?

Your first step is to have a talk with someone from the Music Department about your qualifications and abilities. If you are going to be on campus you might contact the music office to schedule an interview with the Music Department head, one of the faculty advisers, or the person who would be teaching your private lessons. If you're not coming to campus anytime soon, you can call and talk with the office staff who will point you in the right direction.

Is there any money available for me?

Piggy bank for scholarshipsThe Music Department does offer performance grants (a small renewable scholarship awarded based on our needs and your abilities) to Music majors and non-majors (which would include Music minors). If you are interested in auditioning for a performance grant, you can contact us to schedule an audition on one of our scheduled performance grant audition days by completing the online performance grant audition request form. (For more information about scholarships, see the Auditions Requirements page.)

ADDITIONALLY, some of the Music Department performing groups have the possibility of earning small awards just for being in the group. You should contact the director of a group you are interested in to inquire about this.

Still have questions?

Contact the music office by email or by phone.