Step Ahead Math 2018
The Math Boot Camp
Wednesday August 8, 2018 – Thursday August 16, 2018
What is the Step Ahead Math (SAM) Program?
- This is a 9-day program that reinforces basic math and algebra skills needed to enter a college-level math course, such as College Algebra or Pre-Calculus I.
- This program is a combination of lectures, small group interactions, practice and homework using computer-based software, and tutoring.
- This program requires students to complete an exit exam at the end of the course. The exam will determine whether a student is eligible to register into specific, college-level math courses at UTC. These courses include: Math 1130, 1710, and 2150.
- This program does not provide college credit.
How can it help me?
If you do not have an ACT Math score of 19, then you will not be able to enroll in MATH 1130, MATH 1710, or MATH 2150. You have three choices: Retake the ACT, attend a community college and pass one or more developmental math courses with at least a C, or successfully complete the Step Ahead Math program.
Successful completion of the 9-day, Step Ahead Math (SAM) program means that you must pass the SAM Exit Exam. If you pass the exit exam, then you will be allowed to enroll in College Algebra (MATH 1130), Precalculus I (MATH 1710), or Math for Elementary & Middle School Teachers I (MATH 2150).
In other words, passing the SAM exit exam allows you register in a college level math course during your first semester at UTC, even if your ACT Math score is below the prerequisite requirement score of 19. SAM saves you time and money. However, it’s important to note that the SAM program is challenging and will require commitment, sacrifice, and work within those 9 days.
Who is eligible?
- Only students who complete the online application for Step Ahead Math are eligible. (The link to the online application is provided at the bottom of this page.)
- Priority registration is given to incoming freshmen with ACT Math scores below 19.
- Registration and payment confirmation is required before Friday, August 3 at 1:00 PM ET.
- Incoming freshman with ACT Math scores between 19-21 and returning/transfer students with ACT Math scores below 19 are also eligible. These
students are also encouraged to register for the SAM program, however, they will be
placed on the waiting list.
- Students on the waiting list will be notified no later than Friday, July 27 about their SAM registration status. (If accepted, a payment confirmation will be required before Friday, August 3 at 1:00 PM ET).
- Space is limited. Do not procrastinate with this decision or registration process.
- Entering freshmen with an ACT Math score of 19-21 and continuing students not currently eligible for Math 1130 may apply; eligible students will be placed on a waiting list until the application deadline, July 27.
- The first 300 students who meet the criteria and submit a Step Ahead Math application
Who will teach the SAM program?
SAM is taught by UTC Mathematics faculty. In fact, these are the same instructors who regularly teach College Algebra, Precalculus I, and Math for Elementary & High School Teachers I.
When is the SAM Program?
Dates: August 8 - August 16, 2018
Times: 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
The SAM Exit Exam will be proctored on Thursday, August 16, 2018
Students are expected to be present on all days and during all sessions.
*Note: To permit students personal time, there will only be an afternoon session on Sunday, August 12, 2018.
What happens if I pass the SAM Exit Exam?
Students who pass the Exit Exam will be eligible to register for Math 1130, Math 1710, or Math 2150. Since these courses are in high demand and fill up quickly, spaces have been reserved in several sections of each course for Step Ahead students. After the exit exams have been graded, Step Ahead students will return to the Math Department to find out if they passed the exam. The Step Ahead faculty will then assist all passing students in registering for a Math 1130, Math 1710, or Math 2150 course for the Fall semester.
What is the cost?
The program fee is $80. Students with assigned dorm rooms will be allowed to check in early. (See below.) All students are responsible for their own meals. (See below.)
Students will be prompted to make a payment at the end of the application/registration survey. Payment must be received by Friday, August 3 at 1:00 PM ET.
What do I need to bring to class?
Required: Pencil(s), a 3-ring binder, and a notebook
Optional, but strongly recommended: Laptop computer
Detailed information will be sent to accepted students at the end of July. You are encouraged to frequently check your UTC email.
When can I check into my dorm room?
Students with assigned dorm rooms for the Fall semester will be able to check into their dorms on August 8 at 8:00 AM.
NOTE: Students assigned temporary, off-campus housing will not be able to move in early and must make their own arrangements for accommodations during Step Ahead Math.
Students who do not have a campus housing assignment must commute from home or make their own arrangements for a place to stay during Step Ahead Math.
All students are required to be present for the first session at 12:00 PM on August 8, regardless of on- or off-campus housing.
What about meals?
- Fall meal plans will be active sometime during the week of August 13, 2018.
- Limited options will be available on campus and at nearby restaurants - information will be provided prior to your arrival.
- Campus points (cash amounts) may be added to your Mocs Card ID card via GET for food purchases prior to meal plan activation.
- Food court and Crossroads hours will be posted when they have been determined.
What about parking?
Fall parking permits are valid beginning Monday, August 20, 2018. Tickets will not be issued during August 8-16, 2018. Step Ahead participants will not need to pay for parking during the program.
How do I apply?
REGISTRATION IS CURRENTLY OPEN. PLEASE FOLLOW THE BELOW STEPS TO REGISTER FOR STEP AHEAD.
The registration/application survey for Step Ahead utilizes the same program that students use during the UTC registration process. If you are unsure of whether or not you have used the program or if you’ve forgotten your login information, then click the “Forgot Username/Password” button on the survey website. If you have not used this program before, then create an account and use the full legal name of the student taking the class and use the email address associated with the student’s account.
All students must complete the online application. Please use the following link and complete all fields:
An automated confirmation email will be sent after the registration/application process is complete. A faculty member will review the applications and an email will be sent to students who are waitlisted or ineligible. Additional information and reminders will be emailed toward the end of July and prior to the start of the program.
NOTE: To complete your registration/application for the SAM program, be sure to click the “Make Payment” button. Incoming freshmen with ACT math scores below 19 are encouraged to pay the program fee during this process. Students who are waitlisted may login and pay the program fee after they are officially accepted. All students planning to attend the SAM program are required to make their payments by the stated deadline - Friday, August 3 at 1:00 PM ET.
CANCELLATION and REFUND POLICY
- Full refund, less admin fee of $25, if the cancellation request is received a week before the start of program, otherwise, no refund.
- The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga reserves the right to cancel the course due to low enrollment. If a course is canceled due to low enrollment, registration fees are refunded in full.
If you have questions with the registration/payment process or need additional information about the program, please contact:
Mrs. Heather Heinlein at 423-425-4545 or Heather-Heinlein@utc.edu or
Ms. Tracy Hughes via email: Tracy-Hughes@utc.edu