Terms and Conditions
Special Collections is committed to providing broad access to its collections for teaching, learning, research, and other non-commercial purposes of scholarship. All researchers agree to the Terms and Conditions detailed below.
- Eating, drinking, and use of tobacco products are strictly prohibited.
- The use of pens or indelible pencils is not permitted. Researchers are encouraged to bring laptop computers for taking notes.
- Mobile phones are permitted in the reading room, provided they are turned to silent or vibrate.
- Researchers are permitted to take their own digital pictures for study purposes. Special Collections provides a copy stand that is compatible with most digital cameras and smart phones to ensure high-quality images.
- Researchers are responsible for determining Permissions and Copyright.
- All materials are must be examined in the reading room and cannot be checked out.
- All books and manuscripts are kept in a secure area and readers need to ask for a specific item that is then brought out to them in the reading room.
- Researchers who wish to consult collections of archival materials are strongly encouraged to Make an Appointment to ensure staff are available to assist them.
- Researchers agree to respect any conditions of confidentiality or donor-imposed restrictions that apply to collections.
- Materials are available for use at the discretion of library staff and may be restricted because of fragility or poor condition.
- Materials must not be marked on, defaced, leaned on, altered, folded, traced on, or otherwise damaged. They may not be placed in the lap or propped against the edge of the table.
- Material should not be removed from mylar enclosures or from any mounts, nor should any unopened printed material be opened or paper clips or staples removed.
- Researchers may be asked to wear gloves.